× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

My AP WiFi speeds are terrible sometimes

cdelbrug
Tutor

My AP WiFi speeds are terrible sometimes

Sometimes my AP WiFi is very slow, while my router WiFi is fine. They are in different rooms. 

I’m guessing it’s interference since it’s not consistent, but I’m not sure what I can do. Normal speeds are ~450mbps. I have 1G internet speed. I use this speedtest site - https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

When a time the WiFi speed was bad, I used the “Scan” tool under the 5Ghz band in the main wireless menu for the AP and it scans for other APs. It revealed the channel they are on, SSID, etc. I disabled channels that overlapped. I still got ~15Mbps in the speedtest though. It seems the more channels you disable, the slower the speed gets too. I also did an iperf test from the AP to my PC and it was good, confirming there’s a WiFi issue and not LAN issue.

Anyone have suggestions?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
cdelbrug
Tutor

Re: My AP WiFi speeds are terrible sometimes

Ended up being my LG soundbar/subwoofer. I had it next to my AP. I moved the AP at least 3 feet away from both of them and my speeds are good now. 

I just didn't think they would interfere with 5Ghz. I thought Bluetooth was only 2.4Ghz. Oh well!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@cdelbrug wrote:

When a time the WiFi speed was bad, I used the “Scan” tool under the 5Ghz band in the main wireless menu for the AP and it scans for other APs. It revealed the channel they are on, SSID, etc. I disabled channels that overlapped. I still got ~15Mbps in the speedtest though. It seems the more channels you disable, the slower the speed gets too.

The main limitation is that these "scans" only show the 20 MHz wide master channel, while these system use 80...160 MHz for WiFi 6, and 320 MHz (or ore) on WiFi 7.

Needless to say, even on the WAX220 can support up to 160 MHz. At the end of the days, these channels must be in direct sequence of x times 20 MHz. Randomly disabling some select channels will lower the maximum available bandwidth. There it goes, your performance 8-]

Message 2 of 4
cdelbrug
Tutor

interesting. Right now 5ghz is on 80mhz. You think the channel could be conflicting in that mhz range then? Any recommendations on what channel groups to try?

Message 3 of 4
cdelbrug
Tutor

Ended up being my LG soundbar/subwoofer. I had it next to my AP. I moved the AP at least 3 feet away from both of them and my speeds are good now. 

I just didn't think they would interfere with 5Ghz. I thought Bluetooth was only 2.4Ghz. Oh well!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements