× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC104 WPS button doesn't work?

TexARC
Guide

WAC104 WPS button doesn't work?

TO provide my home with 2.4gHz access to my many legacy devices that I lost connectivity to when I upgraded to a Netgear Orbi 750, I bought a WAC104 online which arrived today.  I also have two Negear mesh extenders - Nighthawk x45 AC2200, which have worked with my prior Netgear cable/modem.  

When I boot the WAC104, all the the indicator icons flash during power-up.  But the icon that should come on when the WPS is active(when I push the WPS button, in other words), it never lights up.  I also cannot get either of the two mesh extenders to link to the WAC104.  I think the button is not functioning, does NOT turn on the WPS function.

In the setup for the WAC104, there is a dropdown for "Setup" which contains two links: Wireless Setup   and  WPS Wizard.  

The link to Wireless Setup works fine, but the link to "WPS Setup" does nothing.  

Any advice on how I can verify that the WPS button is dead beyond what I have already done?  

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: WAC104 WPS button doesn't work?

I don't have the WAC104 (this would be the forum for it: Business Wireless - NETGEAR Communities)

But I'm not sure why you're running your setup the way you are with your equipment. 

1. The Orbi should be able to run legacy devices fine. I don't have the orbi but i have a different AX mesh system and it runs all my 2.4ghz legacy devices (and even 1 old wireless G device) fine. 

2. Even if you wanted to have an extra network just to cover a few IoT device/legacy devices, you could use your EX7300 (if that's what you have). Just connect it to an ethernet port and run it in access point mode. No need to buy a new access point when you already have one (2 to be exact).  

Message 2 of 9
TexARC
Guide

@plemans wrote:

. The Orbi should be able to run legacy devices fine. I don't have the orbi but i have a different AX mesh system and it runs all my 2.4ghz legacy devices (and even 1 old wireless G device) fine. 

2. Even if you wanted to have an extra network just to cover a few IoT device/legacy devices, you could use your EX7300 (if that's what you have). Just connect it to an ethernet port and run it in access point mode. No need to buy a new access point when you already have one (2 to be exact).  

The Orbi does not provide a means by which 2.4gHz devices can see the SSID to attach to it.  I've thrashed this to death on another thread on this community.   

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

The Orbi does not provide a means by which 2.4gHz devices can see the SSID to attach to it.  I've thrashed this to death on another thread on this community.   

I don't have the orbi AX so I can't speak of any of its AX issues. I do have a different AX system though. (Arris AX11000)

When mesh first came out, some devices had issues because the phone and iot device had to be on the same 2.4ghz signal to connect and orbi would bandsteer and it was PITA to get my phone to stay on 2.4ghz. 

A work around I used long ago (haven't needed in years). was a backup router with the same ssid/password as the primary that only ran 2.4ghz. I even had my phone (or wifes) setup with a hotspot with same ssid/password so I could click it on, setup the device on the other phone.

I'd get a device setup and then just power off the backup device/hotspot. The iot device would auto connect to my mesh system.

Again, I haven't needed to do this in years but its a potential for you if you have an old router/device. Kind of a pita but cheaper than buying a new device. 

Plus you still have the extenders you could put in AP mode and run for those legacy devices. 

I know if doesn't fix the WAC issue but its worth checking out. 

Message 4 of 9

@TexARC wrote:

Which Orbi is this?

Netgear Orbi 750 is not a model number.

What IoT devices do you have? Unfortunately, too many IoT makers write crummy connection routines. However, most have ways of connecting even when there is 5 GHz around. After all most IoT devices can't connect to 5 GHz. You just have to go about it in the right way.

Message 5 of 9
TexARC
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@TexARC wrote:

Which Orbi is this?   Netgear Orbi 750 is not a model number.  

It's an Orbi RBS750.  Sorry that the lack of "RBS" prevented you from figuring out which Orbi I have - I know I find the way Netgear labels things to be very confusing as well. 

Before anything else, perhaps reviewing this thread might be of use: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-750-and-2-4gHz-SSID/td-p/2011091 

I have 5 nest cameras, an Ambient Weather WS-1002 station, three Sensibos to control split AC Heat pump units, and a Sense monitor, two netgear MESH extenders, NONE of which will work with the ORBI.  I tried all of the suggestions in that thread, the only thing that worked was getting a simple netgear extender (which creates a 2.4gHz SSID), in order to get the weather station in my living room back onto the net.  Insufficient signal for anything else.  

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

did you try the extender in access point mode? not mesh mode?

Message 7 of 9
TexARC
Guide

@plemans wrote:

did you try the extender in access point mode? not mesh mode?

Well, that's a chicken and egg thing.  I cannot link/connect to either of the netgear mesh extenders (Nighthawk x45 AC2200 model ex7500) to change anything about them until they are attached to the access point or router.  The only "controller" button on these extenders is a wps button and a factory reset button.  I'm currently on the phone with a tech support guy from netgear and it is truly painfully frustrating.  I've done everything he asks, before I called him. We've established the light for the WPS SHOULD come on and that it doesn't, but he keeps going off in directions about all the devices I am trying to attach to and what happens when I try to attach them ( I CAN'T, the frickin' WPS button on the 104 WON'T WORK).  Sigh.  So to answer your question, I am using the default setting on these extenders, which worked perfectly well on an old netgear cable modem I was foolish enough to replaces with a newer Spectrum modem and Netgear Orbi Router.  Thus began my downfall into insanity of dealing with Netgear lo this last week.  

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Hi Ron,

Have no WAC104 at hand, in fact I had never used or deployed one of these.

@TexARC wrote:

When I boot the WAC104, all the the indicator icons flash during power-up.  But the icon that should come on when the WPS is active(when I push the WPS button, in other words), it never lights up.  I also cannot get either of the two mesh extenders to link to the WAC104.  I think the button is not functioning, does NOT turn on the WPS function.

What was the out-of-the-box firmware? Have updated to the current one before the initial set-up and WPS attempts?

The WPS button itself (also reset or WiFi on/off) does just trigger an I/O port (hardware is reliable in general), the effective actions are pure software defined.

@TexARC wrote:

In the setup for the WAC104, there is a dropdown for "Setup" which contains two links: Wireless Setup   and  WPS Wizard.  

The link to Wireless Setup works fine, but the link to "WPS Setup" does nothing.    

Looking at the last two firmware update release notes https://kb.netgear.com/000061394/WAC104-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-12 (2019-11-11) and https://kb.netgear.com/000062303/WAC104-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-13 (2020-09-14) shows this

===

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

• When you unbox your AP, if the FW version is lower than V1.0.4.1, be sure to perform the following firmware update procedure before updating to V1.0.4.13.
    1. Back up the configuration file
    2. Do factory defaults after upgrade
    3. Clear your browser cache
    4. Enter the IP address to log in to the device's local browser user interface
    5. Restore the configuration file
  • When firmware V1.0.4.1 is installed already, update to the latest FW. All settings will be retained properly after a successful update.

===

Oddly v1.0.4.1 is the official initial firmware, so the first production release - appears the boxes left the factory before the initial firmware was ready. 

No word of a WPS button issue at all. 

Time for an update and factory reset...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements