× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAC540 Roaming

Yarrmeen
Follower

WAC540 Roaming

Hi

I've setup 2 WAC540 in my home, one on the ground floor and one on the first floor. I've set them up locally.

I have the feeling my clients don't automatically connect to the strongest wifi signal. Both AP's are sending the same SSID and password.

When I'm on the strongest AP I get speeds up to 866Mbps but when I'm on the other floor its only around 100Mbps. When I switch my wifi on and off I get the better speeds again.

How can I make my clients use the correct AP? Do I need to setup Wireless Client Isolation or do I need the Insight Premium for this?

Kind regards

Model: WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WAC540 Roaming

@Yarrmeen,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Wireless client isolation is a function wherein you cannot communicate to other WiFi devices on the same SSID. Even if you do have Insight Premium, the result will still be the same. This is normal behavior on all wireless access points and you can only manually connect to the strongest WiFi signal from your own device. Your computer/phone can only detect those SSIDs but it doesn't mean that they will automatically connect to the strongest signal.

It would be best if you will make an Insight Instant Mesh WiFi so that you can roam around without changing your connection. You can find it in the manual on page 45.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAC540 Roaming

@JohnC_V wrote:

Wireless client isolation is a function wherein you cannot communicate to other WiFi devices on the same SSID.

Correct.

@JohnC_V wrote:

Even if you do have Insight Premium, the result will still be the same. This is normal behavior on all wireless access points and you can only manually connect to the strongest WiFi signal from your own device. Your computer/phone can only detect those SSIDs but it doesn't mean that they will automatically connect to the strongest signal.

Nope. Please review the Insight Premium and Insight Pro data sheets. Especially when it comes to Seamless Romaing and Fast Roaming.

@JohnC_V wrote:

It would be best if you will make an Insight Instant Mesh WiFi so that you can roam around without changing your connection. You can find it in the manual on page 45.

Sorry, pure nonsense. Netgear Insight Instant Mesh is a complete diferent beast to be used for adding more WAC540 (for example) to a wired base, forming a wireless backhaul. Granted: It does include Seamless Roaming and Fast Romaing just like for multiple APs on the wired network.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements