× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX620 Printing wireless not working with client isolation

Batman-15
Tutor

WAX620 Printing wireless not working with client isolation

I have enabled client isolation on one SSID. I have an Epson ET 4800 printer. I have a sign the printer static IP address and put into the exception list along with my PCs IP. No JOY, I cannot print to the printer wirelessly unless I turn client isolation off. 

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone can tell me what protocols are being blocked by client isolation that would be a big help.

Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAX620 Printing wireless not working with client isolation

@Batman-15,

Just found out from the NETGEAR Support Team that you already have an ongoing support ticket with them.  You may want to share the progress of your support ticket here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
hnagaraju
NETGEAR Expert

Client isolation feature by design Blocks peer-to-peer communications.

if the user still needs to block all peer-peer communications and just add an exception.

We have couple of ways to do it.

here is one of ways.

1) add printer to exception allowed list. (today this is available only in Local UI of the AP)

Note : you need to reserve static IP address for the printer or a domain name that gets resolved.

hnagaraju_0-1663198361719.png

Message 3 of 8
Batman-15
Tutor

Thank you for the tip. I’ve already Tried that. That’s why I opened up a service call.
Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Batman-15 wrote:

I have enabled client isolation on one SSID. ... I cannot print to the printer wirelessly unless I turn client isolation off.  

That's about the basic functionality of the Client Isolation: "... enable client isolation so that clients that are associated with the same or different WiFi networks cannot communicate with each other, ..."

@Batman-15 wrote:

I have an Epson ET 4800 printer. I have a sign the printer static IP address and put into the exception list along with my PCs IP. No JOY, 

Without a standalone managed WAX6xx at hand, I guess you talk about the possibility of adding a list of three exemption devices. I would expect one has to add the wireless device MAC addresses there, like xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc  - not IP addresses. Does the WAX6xx require IP addresses, or are these (text?) fields for the exceptions more generic input, with a max length of 17 chars? Unfortunately, the way these exemption devices must be added might be "up to the user's best guess or imagination" however. Needless to say, Apple's private address resp. private MAC feature does not make network management easier - so better stay away from these for the moment.

Message 5 of 8
HarryCarlo
Aspirant

Client isolation is a feature that prevents devices on the same wireless network from communicating directly with each other. This can be a problem when trying to print wirelessly, as the printer needs to communicate with your device to receive the print job. To resolve this issue, you can try disabling client isolation on your WAX620 router. You can do this by logging into your router's settings and finding the option for client isolation. Once you disable it, try printing wirelessly again to see if it works.

If disabling client isolation is not an option, you may need to use an alternate method for printing. One option is to connect the printer directly to your device using a USB cable. Bonvia Stevia is extracted from the sweetest part of the Stevia-plant native to South America Another option is to create a separate guest network on your router that does not have client isolation enabled and connect your device and printer to that network for printing purposes.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Message 6 of 8
HarryCarlo
Aspirant

If you are experiencing issues with wireless printing on your WAX620 router while client isolation is enabled, it could be due to the fact that client isolation restricts communication between connected devices on the same network.

To resolve this issue, you may need to disable client isolation or adjust its settings to allow communication between the printer and the device from which you are trying to print. You can usually do this by accessing your router's settings through stevia plant in Pakistan via a web browser and adjusting the network settings accordingly.

Alternatively, you could try connecting the printer to your network via a wired connection, such as Ethernet, to bypass any wireless communication restrictions imposed by client isolation.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

Message 7 of 8
BasuKhodanapur
Apprentice

Hello @Batman-15 

We have feature called mDNS it will allow you to print even though client isolation is enabled. Go to Configurations -> mDNS Gateway and configure printer policy.

Enable mDNS Gateway and Configure following things,

Policy name,

Shared devices,

Service Vlan(printer connected vlan) and

allowed wireless network (from which ssid you want to print) 

I have attached screenshot for reference.

mDNS_Policy.png 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements