× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX620 login question: what's the default password?

jasonrdunn
Star

WAX620 login question: what's the default password?

I didn't realize I'd lose the ability to manage my three WAX620 APs after a period of time - I thought LAN management was free, and WAN management was what they charged for - so now I can only access two of my APs via IP address. That's not a big deal. The big deal is that I do not have the login information for them; I have no record of setting passwords when I set them up, and I keep records of EVERYTHING.

So is there a default I'm missing? I've searched and searched in these forums and found nothing helpful.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX620 login question: what's the default password?

Yes, the local management is always free. The key question (unanswered!) is how you managed the WAX620 earlier. The password is - regardless on how it was set - not changed out of the blue. The Insight network location password does remain in place, even in the case when the Insight subscription does expire for some or all devices.

With Netgear Insight in the installation, you can retrieve or set the local admin password by the Insight network location -> How do I display or change the device admin password for an Insight network location? Once set, the default admin password is of course no longer in place.

Are you trying to access the WAX620 using a DNS FQDN or by the LAN IP address?

The point is that the FQDN must be configured on the WAX6xx - otherwise you can't use the DNS based FQDN URL, and the Web UI will simply not load.

WAX6xx FQDN IP config.PNG

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

It would help to remember how these WAX620s were set up in the first place.  According to the User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAX620/WAX620_UM_EN.pdf  starting on page 22, there are several ways to manage these units:

• The Insight Cloud Portal, available for Insight Premium or Insight Pro subscribers.
  • The Insight App, also available for Insight Premium or Insight Pro subscribers.
  • Using a web browser connected to the access point over WiFi (page 27), where the initial credentials are "admin" and "password".
  • Using a web browser connected to the access point over a wired connection (page 32) where the initial credentials are "admin" and "password".
  • Offline using a directly connected computer (page 36) again "admin" and "password".

Page 42 talks about logging into the access point after it is set up.

I notice that the Product Data Sheet proclaims "Enjoy a 1-Year Insight subscription included with WAX620."  (top of the second column on page 1)

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAX620/WAX620_DS.pdf 

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Yes, the local management is always free. The key question (unanswered!) is how you managed the WAX620 earlier. The password is - regardless on how it was set - not changed out of the blue. The Insight network location password does remain in place, even in the case when the Insight subscription does expire for some or all devices.

With Netgear Insight in the installation, you can retrieve or set the local admin password by the Insight network location -> How do I display or change the device admin password for an Insight network location? Once set, the default admin password is of course no longer in place.

Are you trying to access the WAX620 using a DNS FQDN or by the LAN IP address?

The point is that the FQDN must be configured on the WAX6xx - otherwise you can't use the DNS based FQDN URL, and the Web UI will simply not load.

WAX6xx FQDN IP config.PNG

Message 3 of 4
jasonrdunn
Star

Thank you both for your help. I'd originally set up the AP's via the Insights app on my phone, but at some point I did assign a password yet didn't record it (tsk tsk). I was able to use the admin view and see the password. I was able to update all three APs via the web interface, though I did notice a strange bug: if you load the interface, you can see the button for the firmware update, but after a second it vanishes. I was only able to update the firmware if I refreshed the admin view, then quickly clicked the update button before it went away. Rather strange, but I got all three updated. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements