× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

What do I need for the WAX615?

aeaeae5
Tutor

What do I need for the WAX615?

What do I need to use the WAX615 with vlan? Can I use it on its own with the ISP router or do I need one that supports vlan like the edgerouter X? Or a switch?
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: What do I need for the WAX615?

@aeaeae5 wrote:
I appreciate the help, but you don't say if I can use the edgerouter to manage the WAX615. Or I just don't understand. So can I use vlans with the WAX615 with the edgerouter or not?

...to manage? The Edgerouter is an Ethernet router with Gigabit ports. Nothing the router does manage or access on your WAX615. It's just an Ethernet connection, the passive PoE is supposed not to hurt the WAX615 PoE Powered Device. Using the Ethernet connection, the WAX615 can be administered, and provide LAN access, through the router Internet access. Of course, the Edgerouter can be configured for VLANs, tagged VLANs, required for the WAX615 to provide additional SSIDs for the additional IP networks and subnet. So in short: Yes, of course you can!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Only few ISP or consumer routers are supporting multiple LANs and IP subnets, even less are supporting VLANs.

The Edgerouter X is a nice inexpensive router, however it's limited to Ubiquity's proprietary "passive", non-standards compliant PoE. Beyond, there are only Gigabit Ethernet ports, so in case you have a very fast Internet service supporting speeds in the 1.5 ... 2.5 (or even a 10 Gb/s) Gigabit it's not sufficient. Same for average fast wireless access points like the WAX615 which can reach throughput beyond of a single Gigabit/s, decent clients permitting..

Some of these other brand router models have the Web UI only on port eth0, so watch your step while connecting your primary computer. a standards compliant MultiGig and PoE+ (802.3af)/PoE++ (802.3bt) switch, otherwise you can't manage the router.

No doubts, a standards compliant PoE+ or PoE++ MultiGig switch is the appropriate core for your network. Avoid the Amazon-offered very low cost Chinese low-cost models, most promise more than they can do in reality. 

Message 2 of 9
aeaeae5
Tutor

I'll be using starlink so I will be getting around 200mbps, so the max speed of the router isn't a problem. I will be using a PoE injector so power isn't a problem for the AP.
So I don't really understand, will the edgerouter X work? Or what kind of switch do I need?
Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

In theory, and according to Internet reports, it's possible to operate your own router (e.g. an Edgerouter X) with the Starlink system. Some special config settings might be required, earlier Starlink odels require a proprietary Ethernet adapter, too.

Unrelated to Netgear I'm afraid, so we can't help as most of us are just yet another Netgear customers, not working, paid, or backed by Netgear - difficult enough for non-Starlink-owners to help, even if deploying capable Netgear routers like the Netgear PR60X.

Message 4 of 9
aeaeae5
Tutor

I know the router works with starlink, any router should work, that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is if the edgerouter alone will work with the WAX615 or if I need something else.
Thank you in advance
Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Already answered before me thinks...

@schumaku wrote:

The Edgerouter X is a nice inexpensive router, however it's limited to Ubiquity's proprietary "passive", non-standards compliant PoE. Beyond, there are only Gigabit Ethernet ports, so in case you have a very fast Internet service supporting speeds in the 1.5 ... 2.5 (or even a 10 Gb/s) Gigabit it's not sufficient. Same for average fast wireless access points like the WAX615 which can reach throughput beyond of a single Gigabit/s, decent clients permitting..

No doubts, a standards compliant PoE+ or PoE++ MultiGig switch is the appropriate core for your network. Avoid the Amazon-offered very low cost Chinese low-cost models, most promise more than they can do in reality. 

If you don't want to invest in a PoE+ switch, of course you can use either an power supply (part of the delivery with the WAX615PA SKU) or a 802.3at-compliant injector with a power supply to operate the WAX615.

Message 6 of 9
aeaeae5
Tutor

I appreciate the help, but you don't say if I can use the edgerouter to manage the WAX615. Or I just don't understand. So can I use vlans with the WAX615 with the edgerouter or not?
Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@aeaeae5 wrote:

...to manage? The Edgerouter is an Ethernet router with Gigabit ports. Nothing the router does manage or access on your WAX615. It's just an Ethernet connection, the passive PoE is supposed not to hurt the WAX615 PoE Powered Device. Using the Ethernet connection, the WAX615 can be administered, and provide LAN access, through the router Internet access. Of course, the Edgerouter can be configured for VLANs, tagged VLANs, required for the WAX615 to provide additional SSIDs for the additional IP networks and subnet. So in short: Yes, of course you can!

Message 8 of 9
aeaeae5
Tutor

Thank you!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements