Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Multigig Port Behavior

All2surreal
Aspirant

CAX80 Multigig Port Behavior

Hi.  So this forum is full of the issue in the subject line.  After reading hours of comments and discussions I understand that this multi-gig port is essentially not stable, period.  I'm a Senior System Administrator and have been at my job for 20 years and have seen and done a lot in the tech field.  This issue ranks right up there with all the bizarre oddities I've come across.  There are just so many variables listed out by people here but essentially it boils down to a hardware design defect of the device.  What that precise defect is has not been disclosed by Netgear.

Here's my story.  I switched to Xfinity in July of 2022 and got their 1.2gig plan.  I bought this modem brand new off of Amazon for $450.  It ran rock-solid until September 2nd, 2023.  And here's what changed on that day but first some back story.  When I moved into my house back in 2018, I ran a 109 foot CAT6E UTP 23AWG network cable which I made at work, from my current modem at the time, to my gaming PC in the basement.  This network cable went outside and then back inside of my house too.   Now back in present day, so in an attempt to keep the cable run inside the house and no longer outside, I drilled a hole into my basement and ran a new cable down there to my office.  Now that I was only going inside for the run I only needed a 50ft cable.  Purchased here on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007O0AUT0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

So, as soon as I hooked up this cable I started getting drops and all of the same types of experiences everyone here describes.  So, I connected back my exisiting nearly six year old network cable and the drops have completely disappeared.  

So, WTF.  Am I supposed to believe this brand new pre-fabricated cable is bad?  I would have to assume so.  I will be taking a Fluke network cable tester to the new cable as soon as I can get ahold of one at work.  The pic I've uploaded is of the Fluke testing my old cable, which was taken on 12/1/2022.  I will retest both and provide an update later this week.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
All2surreal
Aspirant

Alright so time for an update and with some great news!  After downloading the latest Intel NIC driver installer package from Intel's website and and installing it, I'm happy to finally say this problem is 100% gone.  I will note however, that with using the Amazon cable the problem comes back, but on my six year old cable the connection is rock solid.  So, now I have to believe that the Amazon cable is either not compatible with my NIC or the router or both.  I did Fluke test it and it's completely fine and rated at 10Gbps.  I'm returning it to Amazon and have purchased a new 6A STP one:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEM61KA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

More updates to come...

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Is the CAT5E UTP? There is no such thing as CAT6E. 

For any connection rates 2.5Gb or higher that's beyond 1Gb, CAT6A STP is recommended. Shielded Twisted Pair

I've been using my CAX80 with it's MG port and have not had any issues connecting to it with a PC or with MG supporting routers connected to the CAX80 MG port. Yes, I use CAT6A STP cabling.

Message 2 of 12
All2surreal
Aspirant

Firmware:  2.1.5.2

Attached is the pic of the 1000ft spool of CAT6E UTP 23AWG network cable I used to make my 109ft cable for home.  Again, the network cable I made for home is nearly six years old and has been rock-solid.  It's always provided 2.5gig speeds with the CAX80 and my gaming PC and still does.  It's the network cable from Amazon (link in prior post) that brought about the problem with the port dropping while on this Amazon cable.

I will test the Amazon cable with the Fluke tester when I can get ahold of it at work later this week and post back the results.

Concerning your reply...how precisely did you first experience this problem?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

That's UTP cabling. You'll need to test with CAT6A STP cabling. 

UTP cabling can't stop some noise or interferences on the line when operating at higher speeds which can cause problems. 

Do the other 1G LAN ports work ok? 

Does the modem and router work ok otherwise? 

Using UTP cabling. I had my MG connected to Orbi 8 and 9 series routers. Saw odd reboot behaviors with CAT6 UTP cabling. Switched to CAT6A STP cabling and haven't seen these reboot issues with any router I have connected. 

Message 4 of 12
All2surreal
Aspirant

Recommend a CAT6A STP network cable?

Yes it all works great other than this headache.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I get mine from Deep Surplus or MonoPrice.

What is the brand and model of the ethernet adapter in this gaming PC? 

I use a Realtek branded 2.5Gb adapter in one of my PCs I've tested with the MG port.

Message 6 of 12
All2surreal
Aspirant

The NIC is:  Intel i225

Mother board is:  Gigabyte Z490 AORUS MASTER

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/sp#sp

I will note that I've always used the latest LAN driver from Gigabyte's website.

Message 7 of 12
All2surreal
Aspirant

So, amidst this problem with the multigig port... my wifi on the 5Ghz band has been quite bad on the second floor of my home for quite about a month.  After talking to a co-worker who has this same CAX80 and had the same wifi issues, he told me he had DDoS attacks in his logs.  He ended up blocking the IPs from within the router's settings and his problem went away.  So, I checked the logs on my router and of course I saw attacks on the public IP of the router.  This was conflicting because the router is not pingable from the internet (there is a setting to enable this) but yet it was right there in the logs.  After doing some research here in the forums I saw that people have turned off all of the logging as well as the DDoS protection.  I did both.  Wouldn't you know it, I now have full bars on 5Ghz everywhere in the house.  I contribute this to the CPU not having enough horsepower to supply power to the wifi whilst it was doing all the logging and protection.

Now back to the multigig port issue.  I'm still using my original six year old network cable.  I will not go back to the new cable from Amazon.  As far as I'm concerned that cable brought about this whole problem and quite possibly damaged the multigig port because before I plugged that new cable in, I never had this problem.  The multi-gig port's LED stays blue and within the router shows constant uptime, never going down unless I restart my gaming PC.  However, I need to do a restart on my gaming PC just about every time I get on it because if I don't the network is up and down.  A restart brings it back to a solid connection.  For how long, that I've not tested yet.

I fully feel that at this point the cable from Amazon damaged the router.  There is not much left for me to try except a factory reset.  If that doesn't work, I'll buy a new router.  Recommendations?

Message 8 of 12
All2surreal
Aspirant

Alright so time for an update and with some great news!  After downloading the latest Intel NIC driver installer package from Intel's website and and installing it, I'm happy to finally say this problem is 100% gone.  I will note however, that with using the Amazon cable the problem comes back, but on my six year old cable the connection is rock solid.  So, now I have to believe that the Amazon cable is either not compatible with my NIC or the router or both.  I did Fluke test it and it's completely fine and rated at 10Gbps.  I'm returning it to Amazon and have purchased a new 6A STP one:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEM61KA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

More updates to come...

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try a different brand of CAT6A STP to see. Possible the one you got wasn't mfr'd well. 

Try one from monoprice. I've not had any cable issues from them or deepsurplus. 

I was wondering about the ethernet drivers.

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 12
All2surreal
Aspirant

If this other one from Amazon comes and is defective then I'll return it as well and go try Monoprice.  Currently the size that I need from Monoprice is out of stock until 9/29/2023.  I got options.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements