Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000v2 Will not boot

nsayer
Aspirant

CM1000v2 Will not boot

We had this exact same thing happen. Xfinity had a multi-day outage, and part way through we discovered that our modem had the all-lights-blink problem.

We called Netgear support and they told us to pound sand because the unit was 13 months old and the warranty was 12 months.

I am 99.999% sure that the problem is that the firmware is corrupt and simply reflashing it would bring it back, but Netgear seems to be unwilling to actually do this, preferring instead to just generate more eWaste. What a shame.

Message 1 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@nsayer wrote:

We had this exact same thing happen. Xfinity had a multi-day outage, and part way through we discovered that our modem had the all-lights-blink problem.

We called Netgear support and they told us to pound sand because the unit was 13 months old and the warranty was 12 months.

I am 99.999% sure that the problem is that the firmware is corrupt and simply reflashing it would bring it back, but Netgear seems to be unwilling to actually do this, preferring instead to just generate more eWaste. What a shame.

If you actually have the CM1000v2 like the title says, it is a cable modem.  Refreshing the firmware is at the sole discretion of the ISP, not the cable modem manufacturer.

If you ask technical support at Xfinity, they should refresh your firmware for you.

Message 2 of 11
nsayer
Aspirant

Xfinity can’t reflash the firmware because the firmware corruption prevents booting at all.

NETGEAR could reflash this unit with the original factory firmware. It’s foolish to suggest that they couldn’t do so if I mailed it back to them. But they simply won’t, preferring that I throw an otherwise perfectly useful cable modem into the trash because it missed the warranty window by 20 days.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

With the ISP cable coax line disconnected, have you tried a 30-30-30 reset on the modem with nothing connected to it? 

Message 4 of 11
nsayer
Aspirant

Yup. NG support walked me through that and several other attempted actions. It continues to do nothing but the crazy-blink shortly after power-up.
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

K welp, sorry can't help beyond this. Warranty is warranty. You'll need to find another modem and move on. 

Message 6 of 11
nsayer
Aspirant

I get that it’s out of warranty, but it *could* be repaired, even at some nominal cost. The fact that nobody will even *try* is my complaint.
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I wish mfrs had more repair options. Seems like router and modem Mfrs don't and rather toss it and go get another. Consumerism at it's finest. 🙄

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Yes, you will potentially run into this problem again. Home users can't "flash" modems. If they could, it'd allow them to modify the provisioning file that sets speeds/service parameters and would open them up for hacking. That's why its locked down. it's not specific to netgear. Its all modem manufacturers. So while I would still recommend other modems, I'd probably only go the CODA56 and not the S33. Reason not the s33, its very unsure if it'll get approved for xfinity's "next gen" speeds. There's a S34 on their site (unreleased) that says it has high split speeds, so I'd imagine that'll be on there at some point. 

Message 9 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@nsayer wrote:
Xfinity can’t reflash the firmware because the firmware corruption prevents booting at all.

NETGEAR could reflash this unit with the original factory firmware. It’s foolish to suggest that they couldn’t do so if I mailed it back to them. But they simply won’t, preferring that I throw an otherwise perfectly useful cable modem into the trash because it missed the warranty window by 20 days.

You do not know for certain what has failed.  Are you willing to risk the cost for shipping, labor, and etc. to find out the problem is something besides firmware corruption?

Have you tried a different power adapter in case that is the problem?

Message 10 of 11
nsayer
Aspirant

I’ll bet you $100 right now that reflashing the factory firmware will fix it.

Yes, I tried a different power supply. I’m not that stupid.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series