Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 modem activation with no ethernet port

colexa
Initiate

CM1200 modem activation with no ethernet port

Considering it's a wireless world now, why would Netgear force you to create a hard connection with your modem and computer on setup???  I have a macbook pro and they no longer have ethernet ports.  Haven't for a while.  Many other laptops don't as well.  How can I get around step 6 which requires you to connect the modem to a computer using an ethernet connection since that clearly isn't possible?  Extremely frustrating.  Thanks for any help I can get!

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

so go modem----->router----wireless device? 

you can do that. Isn't always as smooth but it does work and i've done it. 

But its just a modem. If you'd wanted wireless integrated into it, you'd need to buy a modem/router combo device as the minutes you add wireless, you need routing functions. 

Message 2 of 6
AdeptMaven
Guide

All modems are ethernet only. To connect wirelessly you'd have to either A, buy a router or B, return the cm1200 and buy a modem/rodem combo. You can also buy a usb/usb-c to ethernet adapter. Hope that helps

Message 3 of 6
colexa
Initiate

That’s what I ended up doing. The instructions imply you have to go modem to computer before installing the router to then connect wirelessly which was my issue. Netgear just needs to update their documentation that ships with the product because skipping the computer step worked fine. Thx!
Message 4 of 6
tjsage
Aspirant

Hard wired ensures the best connection for setup. The modem is not WiFi so hard wired is obviously the way to set it up. I have a MB Pro too and one just needs to get an adapter for RJ45 hard wired connection, that, or have a friend come over and get it set up. I have hard wired to several modem/routers for setup and maintentence

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here. I bought USB C to LAN adapters from Amazon. Works well for Mac laptops with out built in LAN ports. Seems to be that Apple is going that way on the LTs. Smiley Frustrated

@tjsage wrote:

Hard wired ensures the best connection for setup. The modem is not WiFi so hard wired is obviously the way to set it up. I have a MB Pro too and one just needs to get an adapter for RJ45 hard wired connection, that, or have a friend come over and get it set up. I have hard wired to several modem/routers for setup and maintentence

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7