Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Comcast Compatibility - Configuration Questions

ChuckC3
Aspirant

Comcast Compatibility - Configuration Questions

I have a new AX2700 Cable Modem/Router that I have had for less than a month that I purchased to replace an equivalent Comcast product that I was renting.  Everything in my network works fine except I have had some compatibility issues with Comcast.  The configuration I have is (1) master cable TV box and (2) satellite cable TV boxes that connect to the master cable TV box via Wifi.  (The master cable box connects directly to the router via a hard-wired ethernet cable)  The problem I have is that the two satellite cable boxes have difficulty connecting to the master cable box via Wifi.  Once a connection has been established, it works fine; but every day or so, when I power up one of the satellite cable boxes, it doesn't connect to the master, the TV screen is blank, and I have to restart the satellite cable box to get it to reconnect to the master cable box in order to view cable television.

I think one part of this problem is a DHCP issue.   I think the cable box occasionally loses its IP address and has to get a new IP address from the CAX30 router.  When this happens, I suspect that the satellite cable box has difficulty communicating to the master cable box on the new IP address.  To resolve this problem, I assigned both satellite cable boxes to a reserved IP address in the router and that seems to have had a big impact on solving this problem

I am wondering if there are any other configuration instructions on what else might be needed to get the CAX30 to work with Comcast.  The product is advertised as compatible with Comcast, but I can't find any documentation anywhere on what might be necessary to configure it for Comcast.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What happens if you go in to the CAX modems web page and setup some IP addresses for each of these devices under Advanced Tab/Settings/LAN Setup? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 or 149 to 161 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 14
ChuckC3
Aspirant

Thanks, that's a little advanced for me to setup channels.   I'd rather not get into that.  I have just used the default settings for that.  

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes channels may need to be changed if there are wifi nieghbors near by. 

If you need help with this, please find a near by friend, family member or a neighbor that can help you out. 

Good luck. 

Message 4 of 14
ChuckC3
Aspirant

Thanks, I don't think I have that problem...I only want to do what I need to do to be 100% compatible with Comcast.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact the ISP and talk to them about it and getting any modem you buy connected to there network. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 14
ChuckC3
Aspirant

I've tried that.  Unfortunately, they (Comcast) will point the finger back at Netgear.  I really think that if Netgear advertises that their Cable Modem/Routers are completely compatible with Comcast, Netgear needs to do more to tell us what configuration settings are needed to work with Comcast.  We should be able to  unplug the Comcast modem/router and plug in the Netgear equivalent and it should just work exactly like the Comcast box did.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you try the ISP again and get a different support agent or ask for escalated support. Its the ISP responsibility to get modems connected to there network and get the modem side configured to work with there network. IT's not NGs responsbility. All cable ISPs handle everything up to the modem. 

If there is a problem on the router side of the modem, then yes, NG is responsible. 

For some of those suggestions I already mentioned, you need to try them. Have someone come over to help you out if your not comfortable in trying them yourself. There is some troubleshooting that maybe needed on the router wifi side. 

Message 8 of 14
ChuckC3
Aspirant

I have gone through a little over a month of trying to get my new Netgear modem/router to work with Comcast and I have not been successful in getting it to work reliably.   Sometimes it works, but in the latest round of problems, the cable modem/router went offline from Comcast in the middle of the night and lost the connection to Comcast.  Netgear support told me that the Upstream Power Settings were too high and I needed to tell Comcast to reprovision the modem/router.  I was on the phone with Comcast for over two hours and they tried several times to reprovision it but were not successful.  I'm caught in the middle between Netgear and Comcast.  Netgear says it is a Comcast problem and Comcast has been unable to do anything to resolve it.  I have decided that it is two difficult to get the Netgear modem/router to work with Comcast and I am going to return the Netgear modem/router for a refund and go back to the equivalent Comcast modem/router. 

How do I go about returning the modem/router to Netgear for a refund?  It is a little over a month old.  I purchased it at Best Buy; and unfortunately, it is outside of the Best Buy return window.  Please let me know how I can go about returning this to Netgear for a refund.

Thanks,

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support and ask about RMAs and Refunds. The forum is only for tech help and troubleshooting support. We have zero resources to effect anything beyond that. Contact a forum moderator and ask them what your options are.

@DarrenM 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 14
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ChuckC3,

Good day!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the modem. We love to work with you directly to get this issue resolved. 

Please DM your case number and we'll escalate your concerns to our Customer Care team who can help get your case back on track.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 11 of 14
ChuckC3
Aspirant

Thank you for your offer to help. I decided to return the Netgear Cable Modem/Router to Best Buy where I purchased it and I will go back to the standard Comcast Cable Modem/Router.
Message 12 of 14
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ChuckC3

We are really sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused you. Rest assured that your feedback will help us improve our product and services in the future. We hope we can still regain your trust.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 13 of 14
ChuckC3
Aspirant

Thank you. It would be helpful if you did more testing of this with a real Comcast network and publish whatever configuration settings are needed to make it work with Comcast. The product is advertised as compatible with Comcast and is approved by Comcast for their network. Ideally, you should be able to:

1. Unplug the Comcast Modem/ Router
2. Plug the Netgear Modem/Router in its place
3. Activate the new Netgear Modem/Router with Comcast
4. Have Comcast provision the Netgear Modem/Router on their network

All of that should be done without extensive configuration setup of the Netgear Modem/Router and there should be detailed guidelines for any configuration settings required for the Netgear Modem/Router. It should not require advanced technical skills just to connect this to the Comcast network.

Hope that helps…
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series