Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I have a c6300 WIFI Cable Modem Router and it dropps wifi daily

Rolson59
Follower

I have a c6300 WIFI Cable Modem Router and it dropps wifi daily

II have a c6300 WIFI Cable Modem Router and it dropps wifi daily.

Message 1 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rolson59

Have you tried to change the wireless channels on the modem to see if the wifi does not drop?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 14
kms6005
Aspirant

i got same problem.. i did change channel... factory reset... i tried all the way i knew.. still same it just gone about 1-2 mins.. help me plz

Message 3 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Kms6005

If you have tried all of that I would suggest contacting Netgear support if your modem is still under warranty.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 4 of 14
crazyrat
Aspirant

Rolson59,

I'm experiencing the same issue you are seeing since this past Sunday.  I spent several hours with Time Warner Cable and even had them come to my home to try to help resolve.  Basically, the issue is that my C6300 (AC1750) will periodically stop broadcasting 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WIFI.  The SSID stops being available and none of my wireless devices can connect to the internet.  When I log into the router Genie interface, I see the following on the Advanced -> Wireless Settings page.

Channel        6 (0)                                                                                                Channel 161 (0)

Any time this displays 0 after the channel in parenthesis, then WIFI is completely down.

I spent the past 3 hours on the phone with Netgear support.  Since my modem is >6 months since purchase, I was forced to pay the 6 months support fee of $89.95 in order to get any help from Netgear.  Although this modem has 1 year warranty, apparently there is no way to determine if you need that warranty without Netgear extorting an additional fee from you.

Anyway after spending this time with Netgear support, they have explained to me that the wireless dropping is due to some conflict with the selected wireless channels and the CTS/RTS values in advanced settings.  So far we have tried two different settings with the first setting failing within 30 minutes (no wireless).  The second settings are in effect now and we are monitoring to see if my wireless stays up.

Try setting your router to one of the following:  channel 6, CTS/RTS 2307   OR   channel 9, CTS/RTS 2343.

I figured I'd post to see if I can save someone from having to pay.

C6300 (AC1750) firmware V2.01.14

Message 5 of 14
Jak731
Aspirant

I've been experiencing these same problems for the last year, and I'm too cheap to pay for support from Netgear, Samsung and Mediacom.  I've been researching this issue for months.  I changed channels to have it work for a week, then its disconnected again.  I feel your pain and hope its gets better. 

Message 6 of 14
Thehawk
Guide

Yes the unit is a piece of garbage - I will never buy netgear again. It's awful customer service that the unit is still under warranty but the will not give you technical assistance
Message 7 of 14
crazyrat
Aspirant

More on my ongoing saga...

So after paying the $99 fee for 6 months of Gearhead support that I neither wanted nor did I need (I'm an IT professional), I was able to get Netgear to help troubleshoot the issue.  After several different calls over a couple week period, each time the Netgear support person guaranteeing me that they would "solve" my problem, I finally got a support person who immediately offered to RMA my C6300.  I paid the extra $15 for advance ship of my RMA device and installed around 10-20-16.  The new modem has been working wonderfully for the past month or so and now all of the sudden has developed the same "issue" as my original modem!  I'm not trying to decide if I want to go back through the same effort with Netgear support and get yet another replacement modem.  Is there any other recourse available to a consumer if we have a device that does this within the warranty period?  Lemon laws?

Anyway, I've trying additional troubleshooting steps on my side while I wait to decide whether to call Netgear.  At any moment, my family has anywhere from 15-35 devices attached to my network and at least 20 of these is usually wireless.  I'm using both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless networks and the devices are a mixture of IPads, cell phones, laptops, xbox, televisions, etc.  One thing I noticed though is we have a Chinese foreign exchange student living with us.  His devices are connected to the network along with the rest of my family.  The two times that this issue began, was when he had a friend of his (another exchange student) come stay with us for a couple days and bring his devices.

Is it possible that this issue could be related to "foreign" devices such as cell phones not working properly or causing communication issues which locks out the wireless networks?  Probably could call Gearhead support and ask but I have absolutely zero confidence in their technical knowledge.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 8 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello crazyrat

It could be possible that some device caused the wifi to crash but you should be able to factory reset the modem and should work just like when you hooked it up before that other student stayed with you. If the unit is completely defective then you will have to contact support again.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 14
pkorisa
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem. Bought one of these in June 2016. Netgear replaced it after I spent the $16 to ship my defective modem back. Now, the replacement unit has staretd droping OFF both the 2.4 and the 5GHz nets. Their support is really, really bad. They put you on "quiet" hold for a long time, and before you know the telephone line gone dead. The Item is still under warranty but you cant get them to talk to you about the defective item unless you buy paid-support after the 90-day free tech support! I will NOT BUY another NETGEAR product again.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 10 of 14
crazyrat
Aspirant

DarrenM,

I have contacted Netgear support again due to the fact that the wifi on my modem will only stay up for a few hours at a time before failing completely.  Same indication as I posted earlier in this thread.  I asked the Gearhead support person if there was a way to escalate this particular issue back to Netgear to have them acknowledge that there is a major problem here.  I'm not the only person having this issue and have suffered due to this issue for over 6 months.  I would like to get a different modem but don't want to pay for a new modem if there is something Netgear is going to do about this issue.

Anyway, I'll post more once I find out if Netgear is going to replace this thing once again.

Latest Gearhead wireless settings (2.4ghz ch 6, 5.0ghz ch 153, CTS/RTS 2307).

crazyrat

PS I have already tried the factory reset of my modem on different occasions, but it always returns to this problem.

Message 11 of 14
Thehawk
Guide

Crazy rat I wouldn't hold your breath for an effective response from net gear. They are awful.
Message 12 of 14
Thehawk
Guide

It's lame that Darren keeps trotting out stupid suggestions
Message 13 of 14
Thehawk
Guide

I've changed the wireless channels, done resets - the unit is flawed and netgear knows it - they won't admit it
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7