Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear C6300 wifi not working with samsung galaxy s7 edge and regular s7

tryagen2
Tutor

Excellent work around snuphiluphigus. Setting up the guest network with security is the answer for the S7 phones.

Message 26 of 46
Klt3505
Star

I replaced the router and solved the problem.  All the other fixes temporarily worked and then went right back to not being able to download.  It is a shame that Netgear or Samsung is not taking this more seriously.  

Message 27 of 46
TrippinTrips
Aspirant

I have two Galaxy s7s and am having the same problem. I've tried absolutely everything with customer support from google, Time Warner Cable, Netgear, T-mobile (my carrier) and Samsung as well as every workaround listed across every forum I can find. None of it works. Has anyone found any solutions?

I've reset the cache, factory reset the phone, reset the modem, created a guest network with no security, added the phones to my access list, and literally everything else I can think of. None of it works.

Message 28 of 46
MinsMini
Tutor

I've been on the phone with Netgear for 90 minutes tonight with 2 techs. They set me up on as a guest, but it did Not work.   Netgear engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a firmware update.  They explained on what all has to happen for them to put out a firmware update.  Once their engineers come out with an update, they have to contact every company, like Time Warner, Comcast, ATT, Cox, Charter etc. that provides internet and they need to get a certification to be able to be set up on the internet companies system for the updated firmware to be out out.  In other words, it doesn't happen over night.  They said it would be months and months, if at all when an update would be able to be released.  They assured me that no other routers have this problem with the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.  It's this exact router/modem with this exact model of phone.  They apologized many times and said that this problem is their fault.  They said I can check back with them to see if any firmware update has been certified and approved to fix the problem.  But they said at this point there is nothing else to be done.  I will either go to my cable company and pay a monthly fee for one or buy another router.  Since my son gave this router/modem to me, I will see if he wants to sell it.  I don't know about any of you out there with this same problem, but I am Done with it not working when I'm at home.  There isn't a fix!  There will Not be a fix for months and months if at all!  Good luck to all of you.  I will continue to read everyone's posts and add any info if I can help.

Message 29 of 46
Klt3505
Star

Right now the only solution seems to be getting a different router.  I spent a vast amount of time and worked with different "experts" to no avail.  I was tired of it not working so I jumped ship.  On a plus side my phone now works and our internet speeds are faster with this new router.

Message 30 of 46
surround
Star

Well, I couldn't take it any more. I bought a new router. I'll never buy another netgear anything. Thanks for nothing. And I'll lt everyone know not to buy any of their stuff either.

Message 31 of 46

@surround I'm with you buddy.  We recently bought the c6300, which is not exactly a cheap option... after spending days on the phone with other companies who might have been a source of the problem (all of which gave me a ticket number and let me know they would contact me again, which they did) I made my way to Netgear support.  What concerns me is the statement earlier in the thread that engineers are aware of problems between Netgear and Samsung, and yet when I called the only thing customer service did was try to sell me their support to re-setup my router because I was outside of my "free support period".  No mention whatsoever of the issue being known, no ticket number given with a promise to contact me again, nothing other than trying to make a sale for their service (which likely would not have solved the issue).  Never again Netgear.

Message 32 of 46
justducky
Aspirant

Thanks for this info. I do want to clarify that it is not just the Samsung Galaxy S7. Me and my daughter have the Samsung Galaxy S6. The issues(all of them) are happening to our phones also. They started after we did the Marshmallow Update. I am really disgusted that Netgear would not even talk to me unless I agreed to pay $139.99 to check my router. My modem/router is a little over a year old and I paid over $200 and the only response from Netgear is "Do you think this is our fault?" Never buying Netgear again!

Message 33 of 46
MinsMini
Tutor

I'm still communicating with Netgear.  I'm waiting to hear back from them, should be in the next day or two.  They have been phenominal with me.  Every tech person and supervisor I have spoken to have been extremely nice and apologetic. I have the names of every person that has helped me and they all follow up with me when they say they will.  We are working on a resolution.  I believe in Netgear's products and their people.  This is a bizarre situation for them as well.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 34 of 46
MinsMini
Tutor

You need to talk to the tech depart only.  Customer service is there to sell products not deal with tech problems.  Ask for a supervisor if needed.  I've had excellent service from all the people at Netgear.  Every person has been extremely helpful.  

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 35 of 46

@MinsMini I'm really glad that it is playing out positively for you, it seems we had completely different situations.  I understand they are working on it, and that is great, but it doesn't change my overall opinion based on the experience I had.  Additionally, I do not believe that I need lessons on what department does what, if customer service was doing their job they should have identified the issue was not within their realm and transferred me to the tech department (not my job to know what their individual departments can/can't handle).  That ideology is like saying that if I call the grocery store, get the meat department and ask about video games, that they should just try to sell me meat instead of transferring me to their electronics department.  If that is the kind of "customer service" this company provides, then even more of a reason to take my business elsewhere quite frankly.

Message 36 of 46
MinsMini
Tutor

Soon as my resolution is done, then I will post it....we are all just trying to help one another here.

Message 37 of 46
TrippinTrips
Aspirant

I gave up and jumped ship to another brand of modem. I am never using Netgear again as long as I live. This entire situation was just so ridiculous.

Message 38 of 46
mbandstuff
Aspirant

Thank you thank you thank you!!

I set up a 5g-guest network with ssid and WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] security enabled using the same password I have on the regular 5g network. Netflix, Youtube and Playstore all work now! I spent 3 hours on the phone today with my ISP, Verizon and Samsung. None of them had any clue what to do. We have a Note 5 and Galaxy 6. Both were updated to Marshmallow and that was when the video streaming apps and play store stopped working on our home network (with the Netgear c300). Again, thanks!!

Message 39 of 46
Kiva
Initiate

Samsung recently released a software update and now I'm able to watch YouTube videos and update my apps on the Google play store. I got my phone from T-Mobile so idk if the other phone companies have released the update yet. I hope this is a permanent fix to the problems and not a temporary one like the fixes I found here. I don't have the money to buy another router and I've just been waiting for the WiFi problem to get fixed so I can use my phone at home.
Message 40 of 46
MinsMini
Tutor

So far that Samsung update has fixed the problem.  Not having any problem with downloading apps or doing anything I want to do on my phone when at home.  

Netgear has agreed to give me a full refund of over $200 on my C6300 modem/router.  Since the Samsung update has taken care of the problem, I told Netgear that I would like to wait a week or 2 and see if this update from Samsung continues to work.  If it does, then it's up to me whether I want them to go ahead and refund me or stay with the C6300 unit.  Netgear has been amazing with all this.  

Message 41 of 46
Go0Ka
Aspirant

FIRMWARE UPDATE; Contact your ISP and have them push their respective firmware update.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25477/~/current-firmware-version-for-netgear-cable-mod...

Message 42 of 46
steve93101
Aspirant

Could you clarify the "FIRMWARE UPDATE" post?

I'm having a similar problem with Galaxy S6 (Play Store downloads & YouTube don't work, but non-Google things work), on Cox with C6300 firmware 1.02.20.

Is firmware 1.02.21 expected to fix the problem?  Or is the problem only fixed for Comcast/TWC, with firmware 2.01.14?  (If so, is there a way I can use that firmware with Cox?)

I also noticed that my phone has an IPv6 address (in addition to an IPv4 address), but IPv6 doesn't seem to be working, according to ipv6-test.com.  Is the problem with Play Store / YouTube related to IPv6?  How can I disable IPv6 in the C6300?  If not possible, please add this option to the C6300 firmware; most other routers have an easy way to disable IPv6.

A few workarounds I noticed with my Galaxy S6 (but these are not good long term solutions, e.g., disabling LTE will give slower speeds when not on Wi-Fi):

Removing the SIM card avoids the problem.  Disabling LTE avoids the problem (change "Network mode" from LTE/3G/2G to 3G/2G).  In Android 5 Lollipop, setting "Do not use VoLTE" in the Phone options avoids the problem (but in Android 6 Marshmallow, that option doesn't exist; turning off "Voice over LTE Preferred" doesn't help).

Message 43 of 46
steve93101
Aspirant

@Kiva wrote:
Samsung recently released a software update and now I'm able to watch YouTube videos and update my apps on the Google play store. I got my phone from T-Mobile so idk if the other phone companies have released the update yet.

What firmware version do you have now on your phone that fixed the problem?  You have an S7? Or S7 Edge?

I'm on T-Mobile with Galaxy S6 with the latest firmware (at least, that's available to me, which was the big update to Marshmallow), and it doesn't have the fix yet.

Message 44 of 46
Go0Ka
Aspirant

As shown in this link http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25477/~/current-firmware-version-for-netgear-cable-mod...

The ISP has different Firmwares for the router. Update the firmware for the router by contacting your ISP, mine happens to be TWC.

Hopefully it helps, it worked for me.

Message 45 of 46
steve93101
Aspirant

The workaround of using a Guest Network in the C6300 is working for me (with or without WPA2 security), but only if I turn off "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network".  Google Play and YouTube now work on my Galaxy S6.

This still isn't an ideal solution though, since it means my phone can't connect to other devices on my local network (computers, Chromecast, etc).

IPv6 still doesn't work on my phone (which isn't a big deal for me currently), so the Google problem might be unrelated to IPv6.

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7