Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Nighthawk Router - Inconsistent Ping and Connection

Sk8shorty-01
Guide

New Nighthawk Router - Inconsistent Ping and Connection

Hello all,

I recently purchased and installed a Nighthawk CAX80 and have started to experience some issues with ping spikes as well as dropped connection on multiple devices.  When running a ping loop on my laptop (via wifi 2.4 or 5) I will have 15 or so pings to google that sit in the 20ms range and then 2-3 consecutive in the 150-400ms range.  These spikes also (I assume) tend to kick off my Echo Dots from their connection long enough to make them no longer respond and I have to manually reboot them.  This also seems to cause any streaming service I use on my Firesticks (on either 2.4 or 5 wifi) to buffer or downright fail consistently as well.

I have had my ISP come out multiple times and they have run new lines, checked for noise, etc with no found issues.  I have 1gb down and roughly 40 up but still find consistent issues across all platforms.  The following devices are what I am seeing issues with.

Laptop - 3D modeling and the models will lag and crash on both wifi and LAN.

PS5 - constant lag (symbols show latency variation or packet loss) LAN

Echo Dots - drop signal and forced to reboot.  Music etc stops playing after 2-3 songs, etc.  Wifi 2.4 and 5

Firesticks - all buffer constantly, wifi 2.4 and 5.

Smart TV - tested to see if better response than firestick, similar issues. wifi 2.4 and 5.

I have attached pictures from my router login information, can someone please help me understand why my service seems worse now than it did with a $200 Netgear router that was about 7 years old?

Thanks!

Mike Bauer

Router - Top.JPGRouter 2.JPGRouter 3.JPGRouter 4.JPGRouter 5.JPGRouter 6.JPGRouter 7.JPG

Message 1 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

Here I have also attached my most recent ping loop that was run today right after my ISP changed out another line for me (from street to my house, buried).

Message 2 of 18
plemans
Guru

Do you have the event log from the modem? Your cable connection does have errors in it but its just a snap shot in time. The event log shows us longer term connection. 

The isp is responsible for your line up to your home. You might check inside the home for issues.

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

Message 3 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

Thank you for the information.  The lines within my house were all just replaced last week at the start of these issues, as the first day or so I hadn't noticed any real issues with the modem/router yet, but I wasn't home much.  I called Spectrum (ISP) and they came out and determined that my lines had some issues so they replaced all my internal lines.  This week (yesterday) they replaced all the external lines running to the house.

I have no amplifiers, splitters, etc.  It is just the single line running from the box outside directly to my modem/router and no other connections.  That line tests out fine as far as the ISP is telling me.

I have attached my full log report, as far as what is available to me which seems to only be the last two days.  Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to better help, as I am a novice at decoding these issues.  I have run ping loops and thats about as far as my abilities take me on my own.

Thank you again,

Mike Bauer

Message 4 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

The line internal to my home were all run recently as well by Spectrum (my ISP) and I have had three different techs come test them and tell me that they are in full working order.  Obviously, I cannot absolutely confirm that as true as I don't have access to their handheld equipment but all gave me similar information and read-outs.

We have no amplifiers or splitters in the house, the modem/router is connected directly to the line that runs from the outside box directly to my office.

Here are the log screenshots, and again I appreciate all the efforts!

Thanks,

Mike BauerLogs 1.JPGLogs 2.JPGLogs 3.JPGLogs 4.JPG

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

thats the logs. a bit down from that should be the "event logs". 

That shows the modem side. 

Message 6 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

My apologies, here you are.Event Logs 1.JPGEvent Logs 2.JPGEvent Logs 3.JPGEvent Logs 4.JPG

Message 7 of 18

It may be some time before the images land. To ensure that you aren't posting anything naughty, a Netgear moderator has to approve the pictures.

You can attach images to messages without any delay.

Message 8 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

I actually tried to attach first but it said I could only attach one image at a time, my events logs took four snips to capture it all (unless I zoom out and the text is microscopic).

Would it be better for me to reply multiple times with one image shared at a time in cases like that?  I was trying not to clutter things up but maybe that is the best way?

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

Your event logs are either indicating a line issue or a cmts issue. A few errors in the logs when you first boot up aren't a big deal but you've got quite a few and all within a shorter time period. 

Message 10 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

My ISP was out here on Monday morning working on my system (9am-11am ish), would them working on running me that new line outside, plus disconnecting and reconnecting equipment, etc cause those logs to show up?

I notice most of them are all showing from the 9th, which is when they were here, thats why I ask.

If not I will have to call them back out again (4th time), although they continue to tell me that there are no issues.

Thanks again.

Mike Bauer

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

If they were working on it, I'd watch the logs for a bit. You can clear them out and then watch for anything new. 

Sometimes when they work on things, they cause other issues

Message 12 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

Now that I have let things settle for a bit it was better for a short time but I am right back to some struggles.  These are my current logs as of right now.  Does any of this indicate I should get my ISP back out again?  I am at a loss as they have run me a new line from the pedestal to my house, the line inside my house they said is fine, I have replaced my modem/router to this current combo nighthawk, replaced all my ethernet lines to my devices to new fresh ones, etc.  Still struggles consistently.

Event Logs 062322 01.JPGEvent Logs 062322 02.JPGEvent Logs 062322 03.JPGEvent Logs 062322 04.JPGEvent Logs 062322 05.JPG

Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

If you've even changed the modem and are still having the same problem, its not likely a modem issue. 

Message 14 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

I agree, I am just not sure where to go from here. My ISP is saying I have no issues, however I have lapse in strong signal on most devices (wired or wifi), things randomly lose connection, ping loops show random pings to Google of 200-500ms and losing roughly 3% of my packets on top of that.

Do these event logs give any clue to where I should be looking?
Message 15 of 18
plemans
Guru

The logs indicate a line/cmts issue. Not a modem issue. 

But if the ISP has already been out, then it kind of puts you in a bind. 

I've actually had to rent a modem from an ISP before to prove to them it wasn't my equipment and it was still a line issue. You might have to do something like that to prove it to them. I did it just long enough to prove it and then returned the rented modem. 

Message 16 of 18
Sk8shorty-01
Guide

Would you mind informing me which lines in the log indicate a line issue so I at least have some knowledge on the subject when I call my ISP again?

They are usually pretty good about replacing lines so I am sure I can convince them as long as I provide some form of proof.

They replaced my external lines already but it's possible the internal lines need replacing too, even though they said they are fine.
Message 17 of 18
plemans
Guru

the dynamic range window violations, the t3 errors, the frequent channel changes. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7