Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Procerssor on Router, does it matter for home network?

MrBwithaMK18
Aspirant

Procerssor on Router, does it matter for home network?

I am looking to get a new modem, router combo, I will be turning off the Wifi and using my access points but I have a 24 port switch in my home, heavy local traffic, minimal internet traffic. Does the processor on the router help with NAT and other internal networking? I am concidering the C6300 or the C7000.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] Does the processor on the router help with NAT and other
> internal networking?

Huh?  What does NAT have to do with "internal networking"?

> [...] I will be turning off the Wifi and using my access points [...]

Without actually looking at the specs of the "C6300 or the C7000",
I'd guess that the primary differences would be in their wireless
capabilities.  What differences do you think are significant?

Message 2 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

C6300 and c7000 both have different chipsets. INTEL vs Broadcom and have different DOCSIS frontends. 

in your use-case, it would be better if you had Cable Modem + Router + (APs/Switches) for heavy use cases.

Would prefer something like CM600 + R7000P + (APs/Switches). 

Message 3 of 4
MrBwithaMK18
Aspirant

That sounds similar to what I have, right now I have a Motorola SBG680 bridged to a Netgear Nighthawk r7000 going to Netgear FS728TP switch.

We just remodeled the data room and have a 14x14 in wall access panel that I was trying fit all my non rack hardware into, the SBG6580 being about 7 years old I thought it might be a good time to try to consolodate the modem/router again and free up some space and now that I have also installed access points no longer need the wifi features of the Nighthawk which is why I was looking at options.

I didn't think a modem/router combo would be an issue but if your recommending modem, router than that is the route I will go. With all that being said, the R7000 is huge, does RAM/CPU matter when Wifi is off, is it still the best choice to route my home network over the smaller C6300 or is it the Broadcom chipset that makes it better for managing the large home network?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7