Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slower Internet Speed with New CM2000 Cable Modem

FrankAngel
Aspirant

Slower Internet Speed with New CM2000 Cable Modem

I recently switched out an older Netgear CM600 Cable Modem for a CM2000 model. My Xfinity plan gets me 1G speed, which the old modem did not do (only up to 400). A Netgear R6300 wireless router is connected to the modem.

When I connect my desktop directly to the modem via ethernet, I get full 1G speeds. With the router in the mix, I only get about 200Mbs on my desktop connected to the router and about150 or lower with a wireless connection. The modem and router have been rebooted multiple times and no change. I've talked with support at Xfinity and Netgear with no success. Firmware is up to date on the router.

I was able to login to the cable modem and saw this for Upstream status - Partial service: Cable modem is in partial service mode. Your service provider might be under maintenance

Any ideas how to solve this lower speed issue?

Thanks,

Frank

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FrankAngel
Aspirant

Re: Slower Internet Speed with New CM2000 Cable Modem

I replaced the router with a Nighthawk Mesh router and all is well. I'm now getting the gigabit speed that I expected. Thanks all for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Though it had 1Gb ports, it may have not had the NAT HW accelleration support to see anything near 900Mpbs on a ethernet connection. Wireless would be severly limiting on this model as well. Probably need to swap out the R series router for something newer. 

Message 2 of 8
Kitsap
Master

From a technology standpoint, your R6300 (pre Nighthawk) is way long in the tooth and outdated by current cable internet throughput.  Agree with @FURRYe38 , time to look for some new router hardware compatible with your new modem and internet service.

Message 3 of 8
FrankAngel
Aspirant

Although the Netgear support person said it should be compatible with the higher speeds, you're probably correct. Any suggestions for a replacement Netgear wireless router?

Message 4 of 8
FrankAngel
Aspirant

Oops, just saw the router you're using.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a RAX30 or 50 series. If you home is bigger or larger, you might consider something MESH like a MK60, 70 or 80 series. 

Message 6 of 8
FrankAngel
Aspirant

I replaced the router with a Nighthawk Mesh router and all is well. I'm now getting the gigabit speed that I expected. Thanks all for your help.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7