Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi disconnection

Gdurney
Apprentice

Wifi disconnection

Hello all. For about the past 2 months my modem/router has lost connection/restarted itself every night. The problem has gotten progressively worse as now it does it between 5-10 times a night sometimes. I contacted XFinity who advised they are not having any issues on their end or in my area. I’m curious if this is related to my modem/router? Sometimes when the modem loses connection it will reconnect within a minute or quicker. Sometimes when it restarts, it will erase my set usernames and passwords I have set for my wifi and force me to rename both the 2.4/5.0 channels and their passwords. Hoping to resolve the issue as it’s made using wifi at night impossible.
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi disconnection

Please visit and post about this over in the Cable modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 40
Brettmcm
Apprentice

I had the same problem. Do you have on the Netgear Armor? Shut it off, worked for me 

Message 3 of 40

Does the C7000 support Armor?

Doesn't look like it:

Which products support NETGEAR Armor? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This place is getting horribly confusing with those content free "go away" messages:

Wifi disconnection - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 40

@Gdurney wrote:
Hello all. For about the past 2 months my modem/router has lost connection/restarted itself every night. The problem has gotten progressively worse as now it does it between 5-10 times a night sometimes. I contacted XFinity who advised they are not having any issues on their end or in my area. I’m curious if this is related to my modem/router? 

Sounds likely. 

Be warned that ISPs are great at passing the buck. There routine response is "blame the modem". 

If you can catch the attention of @plemans, they know more than most about cable modems.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 5 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

I have taken this step and am still having trouble resolving the issue. I have the most recent firmware update, don’t have any splitters, dampeners or any kinks in my line and my modem is only 5 ft. from where the line enters my house.
Message 6 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

After much trouble and reading through many other customers posts who have had the same modem and issue as myself, I think I will rent the ISP modem for a month and see if this resolves the issue. That will determine if it is an ISP line issue or Netgear Modem issue. Based on the amount of trouble this model of Netgear modem appears to have my money is on the modem being defective somehow.
Message 7 of 40
plemans
Guru

Got a screen snip of your cable connections page and your event logs from the modem? 

That helps check the line. Xfinity is great at their default response being "our line is fine"

Message 8 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru
Gdurney
Apprentice

I’ll have to get those screen snips when I get home from work and the router resets itself.
Message 10 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

Message 11 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

Message 12 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

Message 13 of 40
plemans
Guru

usually I tell people to remove any splitters/signal attenuators. In your case, try adding one in. Your power levels are high and that can cause issues. 

Try putting a triple splitter or signal attenuator in the coax line. (use good quality cable/splitter).

then try using it and getting those pages again. 

Message 14 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

I’ll give that a go and see how it does. Thank you for your help to this point! More then I can get from my ISP.
Message 15 of 40

@Gdurney wrote:
Thank you for your help to this point! More then I can get from my ISP.

You were warned!

In their defence, there are more routers and things out there than most ISPs can keep up with.

Message 16 of 40
Brettmcm
Apprentice

This I can agree with. I printed out the entire manual for my device (AX6 AX 2700 Model CAX30) which is 132 pages long of information I would not otherwise have. After trying and changing every possible concivable problem I am convinced the main problem is the ISP and acutally do to the problem I'm having I'm surprised my device works at all. When I check my cable connection it always shows my ISP address and DNS as 0.0.0.0. I am getting a Dynamic IP adress for them otherwise I would make a static address. My modem/router was activated by them and myself on 3 seperate occasions and now thier app doesn't even give me the option to activate equipment anymore. It's suspcious to say the least. I have noticed that the disconnects come when the device is busy doing something, im guessing trying to obtain an IP and DNS address because of the 0.0.0.0 (or a new device was being scanned by armor). See if you can download the manual and follow the Trouble shooter chapter. My guess is your probably going to see the same thing "0.0.0.0" 

Message 17 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

I hope that doesn’t happen but I guess we’ll see. Tonight will be my first test home again to see if my internet shuts off after some of the minor changes I’ve made with the above listed advice. We shall see.
Message 18 of 40
plemans
Guru

What changes did you make?

Did you rerun the screen snip of the cable connections page and logs? with as many as you had, we should see shortly how good the connection is. 

Message 19 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

I added in a double splitter as that’s what I had on hand. I’ll screen snip the events log and connection page this evening when I’m on the wifi and see what it’s running at and upload it here.
Message 20 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

Message 21 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

Message 22 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

Message 23 of 40
Gdurney
Apprentice

So… unfortunately as of 1030-1052 tonight (I live in CA) my modem has restarted itself approx 5 times already. Each time all lights turn off on the modem, and all lights and wifi are back on within a minute. As you can see from my screen snips the splitter did drop the power levels closer to the regular range but I see they are still slightly high around 9. I still have no idea what’s causing this restart as it’s continuing horrendously tonight. As I said, within a half hour it has disconnected wifi and all signal approx. 5 times and everytime within 1-2 minutes all systems are back up and running. I have no clue what’s going on.
Message 24 of 40
plemans
Guru

got a triple or quad splitter instead of a double? 

To high of power can cause reboots/issues

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7