Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

using GS108Tv2 to trunk MB8600 and connect ac1750 to switch

djinn13
Aspirant

using GS108Tv2 to trunk MB8600 and connect ac1750 to switch

i just want to know if this is possible and or a smart config

B8600 trunked with GS108t then connect AC1750 to the switch. have lan behind the router.

I would have nothing else between the switch and the modem

thanks folks

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: using GS108Tv2 to trunk MB8600 and connect ac1750 to switch

These are more than aged routers, AFAIK they are suporting WAN or business continuity (fail-over) or load balancing between two independent Internet connections. Not aware there is WAN aggregation support. 

Netgear offers some consumer routers, resp. the firmware was enhanced to extend the WAN interface by allowing the aggregation with an additional dedicated LAN port. Some examles are the RAX80/RAX75 -> https://kb.netgear.com/000060393/How-do-I-set-up-Ethernet-port-aggregation-between-my-NETGEAR-Nighth... and the RAX200 https://kb.netgear.com/000060873/How-do-I-set-up-WAN-aggregation-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-AX...

Please understand that "AC1750" does not say much about the hardware or the model - this is just some WiFi technology standard and a sum of theoretical max link speed achieveable.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Based on the Motorola MB8600 Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem information, this is a pure modem (double check with your ISP if they don't have some special NAT router config on it just in case). To connect multiple devices (computer, switch, WiFi access point, mobiles, ...) you need to add a NAT router - if your ISP contract does bring more bandwidth than 1000 Mbit/s (1 Gb/s) the modem has "hidden" ports allowing to connect to a router supporting port aggregation on the WAN/Internet side.

Message 2 of 9
djinn13
Aspirant

i guess my real question is do you see any conflicts with set up?

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Without a NAT router issues are predictable as most ISP only assign one IP address - intended to run one single device, typically one computer or a router. Any other devices won't be able to access the Internet.

Message 4 of 9
djinn13
Aspirant

my router is able to do nat forwarding, virtual servers, alg, port triggers,dmz.
you think it would be suffcient?

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@djinn13 wrote:

B8600 trunked with GS108t then connect AC1750 to the switch. have lan behind the router.

Sorry, must have missed this router. Creating a trunk / aggregation between the modem and a Gigabit switch does not make any sense - because the router will be connected as a single GbE device only.

The set-up could make sense if using a router supporting a MultiGig or 10GbE WAN/Internet port, and a switch also supporting a MultiGig/GbE to provide the additional bandwidth.

Message 6 of 9
djinn13
Aspirant

so what you are saying is that i should have bought something like this instead?

Cisco Small Business RV320-K9-NA Dual Gigabit WAN VPN Routers

or something of the like?

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

These are more than aged routers, AFAIK they are suporting WAN or business continuity (fail-over) or load balancing between two independent Internet connections. Not aware there is WAN aggregation support. 

Netgear offers some consumer routers, resp. the firmware was enhanced to extend the WAN interface by allowing the aggregation with an additional dedicated LAN port. Some examles are the RAX80/RAX75 -> https://kb.netgear.com/000060393/How-do-I-set-up-Ethernet-port-aggregation-between-my-NETGEAR-Nighth... and the RAX200 https://kb.netgear.com/000060873/How-do-I-set-up-WAN-aggregation-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-AX...

Please understand that "AC1750" does not say much about the hardware or the model - this is just some WiFi technology standard and a sum of theoretical max link speed achieveable.

Message 8 of 9
djinn13
Aspirant

i just tossed it up as an example.

thank you for you help i now know what i have to do.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7