Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 AX6000 MUST READ BEFORE BUY ($450 modem is it worth it??)

Saeidzzz
Star

CAX80 AX6000 MUST READ BEFORE BUY ($450 modem is it worth it??)

alright hello everyone its time to expose netgear for who they are..

i bought a modem/router nighthawk ax6000 CAX80 it worked fine at the first month i would get abnout 1300 Mbs DL speed after that i noticed slower speeds so i would go speed test n i would only get about 300-400 Mbs. so i call my ISP n i talk to them n they said everything seems fine at our end but it seems that you have netgear modem so call netgear and tell them to confugure your modem so i did n netgear tech said im not sure what is going on theres no such thing as configuring the modem so what he did was tell me to switch the wifi channels which has nothing to do with my ethernet connection n changed a different number from like 1500 to 1494 or something (I am a tech my self and i  have IT certificates)  so i know what they're talking about when they do something anyway level 1 Tech told me to wait for a few days m keep checking my internet speed if i dont see a change i should call them back for a replacement so i called them back about 4 days later and they made me repeat all the steps and hard reset my modem and it didnt work so they told me call your ISP and tell them to "refresh" your cables and bring a modem with them to test your internet so i said fine i will and i have my ISP (Comcast) pulled a new cable directly from the hub to my house and made sure the signal was perfect they put their modem and i tested and i would get 1300-1350 Mbs DL speed (my internet speed being 1250 Mbs.) so i put my modem back and i still have the same issues slow speeds 300-400 Mbs DL i got new Cat7 cable i tried connecting wifi 6 laptop i tried another laptop with ethernet nothing worked all giving me the same speed also most of the times the app either doesnt connect to the modem thro my phone or when i do it keeps logging me off or freezing in loading specially when i do speed test it keeps loading it doesnt connect to speedtest server or sometimes it tells me request timed out or something.. anyway ik its an issue with the modem so i call netgear back they opened another case without telling me and they wrote down the issue on the new ticket that i dont have internet connection?? but like i never asked them to do that and i never said i dont have internet connection!!! so i talk to the indian guy and he again asked me to repeat every step factory reset the modem switching channels and all that n then he puts me on hold for 10-15 mins then the line disconnects and he never calls again now that was over an hour call

i called again i get connected another indian level 1 Tech i explain to him everything and he said okay give me a few mins to read the case i spent about 30ish mins on hold waiting on him then he tells me to repeat the same troubleshooting steps again but like i've been on hold for over 30 mins and hes reading my case why?!?! i told him i want to talk to his supervisor and he said we dont have supervisors.. he wont let me talk to someone higher than him.. eventually he said i will connect u to level 2 Tech i was Like finally!! i wait on the line for about 20ish mins the call has be on for about hour n 20 mins now suddenly the line disconnects and the tech doesnt call me back.. now im really frustrated! i let it sleep for a couple of days now im having issues i woke up theres no internet connection i restart my modem i have internet n then my internet would connect and disconnect  i would have network but not internet connection for about 5 mins then it would be fine then about an hour later same thing would happen so i call netgear again and this time im speaking to americans!! yeyy i explained everything and she said that on my case its not marked that its been moved up to a level 2 Tech so are you sure you have been told this? and i said yes so she said ok i will transfer the call to a level 2 Tech so i wait and wait and the machine would tell me your wait time to get connected to a tech is 15 mins 5 mins later the machine said 16 mins 3 people before you..10 mins later it said 26092 MINS YES 26K MINS WAIT TIME because they want me to hang up they dont want to send a replacement part..i stayed on the line for about 15 more mins and someone answered me and my first question was are you a level 2 TECH? he said no im a level 1.. so now im so pissed off i explained to him everything again..and he said wait let me read your case he puts me on hold for 5 mins later the line disconnects and they never called back

if this isnt the worst customer server ever i dont know what that is they dont want to lose 450$ to replace my modem but i will take this topic to every forum there is about modems and tell people the truth this product isnt good that company's customer server is 1 start i wasted 2 n a half weeks now since i called them the first time  and i wasted about 4 hours on the phone with Netgear alone other than Xfinity(my isp).

its time to copy paste this stuff to reddit and the other forums thank you all for reading this hope you never have to face this bad customer service like me!! 

my netgear case number is 44540513 

Message 1 of 24
Saeidzzz
Star

Re: CAX80 AX6000 MUST READ BEFORE BUY ($450 modem is it worth it??)

i forgot to mention the 2nd or 3rd tech i believe she wanted to convince me that the default IP Address for the modem is 192.168.0.1 but the default is 192.168.1.1  

Message 2 of 24
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Saeidzzz,

Welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'd like to assist and address some of the concerns you maybe having. May you send me a private message and provide me with your email address. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 3 of 24
Saeidzzz
Star

okay

Message 4 of 24
antinode
Guru

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd be interested to learn why the
default LAN IP address of this thing was set at "192.168.1.1", instead
of the previous standard for cable-TV gizmos, "192.168.0.1".
Apparently, that decision has overloaded the support training system.
What was the (perceived) benefit?

Message 5 of 24
Saeidzzz
Star

that is a good question my friend i've already done a hard reset 3 times so i know for sure the default is 192.168.1.1 now the rest you've got to ask the experts behind it

Message 6 of 24
antinode
Guru

> [...] i know for sure the default is 192.168.1.1 [...]

The CAX80 User Manual agrees.  I'm convinced, but mystified.

> [...] you've got to ask the experts behind it

One seems to be following this thread.

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

192.168.1.1 has been the default address since it first came out. Hasn't been anything else. I believe the older C series gateways use .0.1 which NG may keep or change at some point. Seems that the CAX80 made the change for this model. Nothing more or less. I presume the 1st level phone support just isn't up to date on whats uses what. Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 24
antinode
Guru

> 192.168.1.1 has been the default address since it first came out.
> Hasn't been anything else. I believe the older C series gateways use
> .0.1 [...]

No one was accusing the CAX80 itself of having changed, only that
it's different from all "the older C series gateways".  Which fact seems
to have escaped at least some of the support agents.

Message 9 of 24
Saeidzzz
Star

update..

10 days later i havent recieved any calls from netgear not even a message from the moderator who requested to message me on my email in the reply to this thread they are ignoring my case they arent responding to the case and the status would always be waiting on customer's respone i repsond and noone responds back next day the case is waiting on customer's response so pretty much ignoring me. so the moderator requested to send me a message to my email so the public would see that they would try to help but in fact he didnt messaage me therefor im exposing him go read his reply!

Message 10 of 24
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Saeidzzz,

I have asked for you to send me a private message in the community providing me your email address so I can look into your case further. I have sent you a message requesting for your info. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

Christian

Message 11 of 24
Saeidzzz
Star

right chris after i exposed you you messaged me? nice one i wouldnt expect a better server from netgear!

10 mins after my latest reply i got a call from a netgear rep and they opened an rma an apologized for everything but that doesnt mean im ever going to buy netgear again i've had enough hard time for 1 month in my life im done with you soon as u replace my modem..

Message 12 of 24
Itsjustmebob
Initiate

Is it still working? I bought a CAX80 5 months ago. Worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago. Now I have no internet. I called Comcast and they did the refresh. I’ve unplugged it. Reset it and sti no internet. Comcast said everything looks fine on their end to call Netgear. I call Netgear and all they can telll me is I’m outside my 3 month period and if I want help I would have to pay $50. I find it a bit too coincidental it stopped working just after the free 3 month assistance is over.
Message 13 of 24
Saeidzzz
Star

well they sent me a replacement n the replacement is working fine until now but i would never buy netgear again after everything i've been thro it's just not worth my time or the cost.. wish you luck!

Message 14 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post with your details about the problems your having with your modem. 

@Itsjustmebob wrote:
Is it still working? I bought a CAX80 5 months ago. Worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago. Now I have no internet. I called Comcast and they did the refresh. I’ve unplugged it. Reset it and sti no internet. Comcast said everything looks fine on their end to call Netgear. I call Netgear and all they can telll me is I’m outside my 3 month period and if I want help I would have to pay $50. I find it a bit too coincidental it stopped working just after the free 3 month assistance is over.

Message 15 of 24
econgolf
Guide

Mine worked perfect since April, now Netgear did a firmware update but it appears Comcast hasn't pushed it out yet.  My wireless dropped from 400mbps to 30mbps.  The Nighthawk app speed test show 350mpbs, yet if I do it through a web browser it shows my actual speed, which is in the 30's.  Xfinity blames Netgear, Netgear blames Xfinity.  It's a freaking nightmare.  I thought I was avoiding any potential issues by buying the most expensive router, but stay away from CAX80.

Message 16 of 24
econgolf
Guide

If I could time travel...I would definitely make a pitstop on the day I bought the CAX80 and smack myself.  Just suck it up and pay the Comcast lease fee, you'll thank yourself in the future.

Message 17 of 24
Saeidzzz
Star

and that right there makes 2 of us my friend!

Message 18 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

There is FW for the router side that users can update themselves:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/New-CAX80-Firmware-Version-2-1-3-5-Released/td...

Though we've seen some issues on the 5Ghz side of this FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CAX80-can-t-upload-5GHZ/m-p/2158905/highlight/...

You might try using v4 of the CAX80 router side FW and see if this helps any.

Users are encouraged to contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. I believe this is a NG issue and not a ISP issue. My 2 cents. 

@econgolf wrote:

Mine worked perfect since April, now Netgear did a firmware update but it appears Comcast hasn't pushed it out yet.  My wireless dropped from 400mbps to 30mbps.  The Nighthawk app speed test show 350mpbs, yet if I do it through a web browser it shows my actual speed, which is in the 30's.  Xfinity blames Netgear, Netgear blames Xfinity.  It's a freaking nightmare.  I thought I was avoiding any potential issues by buying the most expensive router, but stay away from CAX80.

Message 19 of 24
econgolf
Guide

FYI.  I just had a good conversation with Netgear support.  My issue is not fixed yet; however, the reason I've been having so many issues is because the Nighthawk App asked me to upgrade to the newest firmware; however, Xfinity has not yet decided to push out that version.  So now I need to call Xfinity and ask them to reset my firmware back to the old verison (unfortunately, the first two times I've called the Xfinity reps have no clue what that means/how to do it, so I need to just keep trying).  But as a lesson/takeaway from all this...DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE FROM THE APP if you have the CAX-80.  That is what has caused all my headaches.  Hopefully that saves at least one person the 6+ hours of combined phone time I've spent on this.

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so please understand. NH app only gives notification of the router side FW update only. Modem side FW comes from ISPs and they only push that when and if there testing completes. Modem side FW IS not user updateable. The router side FW is user updateable. 

Users are encouraged to update the CAX using a PC or laptop and manually download FW. Users can ignore the NH app if they want to.

@econgolf wrote:

FYI.  I just had a good conversation with Netgear support.  My issue is not fixed yet; however, the reason I've been having so many issues is because the Nighthawk App asked me to upgrade to the newest firmware; however, Xfinity has not yet decided to push out that version.  So now I need to call Xfinity and ask them to reset my firmware back to the old verison (unfortunately, the first two times I've called the Xfinity reps have no clue what that means/how to do it, so I need to just keep trying).  But as a lesson/takeaway from all this...DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE FROM THE APP if you have the CAX-80.  That is what has caused all my headaches.  Hopefully that saves at least one person the 6+ hours of combined phone time I've spent on this.

Message 21 of 24
ScottF2112
Aspirant

I just bought one and it is going in the garbage if I can't return it.   It DOES NOT WORK with Xfinity high speed internet.  I'm limited to around 500 as everyone else.  I haven't seen a single solution offered on this forum, so... that anyone who has an actual solution feel free to offer.

Message 22 of 24
ScottF2112
Aspirant

Thanks for posting.  I wish I would have read this before buying since the product just doesn't work with Xfinity at an acceptable speed.

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Re-Dejavu-cax80-and-xfinity/td-p/2209716/jump-...

@ScottF2112 wrote:

Thanks for posting.  I wish I would have read this before buying since the product just doesn't work with Xfinity at an acceptable speed.

Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7