Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to set to Internet time?

Spider223
Guide

Unable to set to Internet time?

Currently using firmware version : V2.01.18 on my C6300.

There is no provision to let me set the time, and apparently whoever is setting the time is an hour off from my U.S. Eastern Standard Time.  The actual time right now is 10.08am, yet my router thinks it is 9:08am.  I have tried setting to 8.8.8.8, wit no difference.  How about the next firmware update you allow the user to set the time, either syncing with my computer, or just plain allowing me to put a time/date in. 

I have tried support chat, and after about twenty minutes with one of your people, they finally realized that there is NO option for me to set the time or date in this router/modem.

After my support chat with Netgear, I called Comcast/Xfinity as he suggested. The Netgear support person said that it was Xfinity's fault.  Well, Xfinity said that it was my Netgear Router/Modem that is supposed to select the time time zone, and since Netgear doesn't allow me to set the time zone, Xfinity has no idea what time to send to the modem/router.

Netgear may call it fingerp pointing, but it can be fixed, by putting the option in for the end user to either specify a time zone, or actually allowing the end user to enter a time/date.

Very nice router/modem, but this is just plain stupid that I do not have control over the time/date on it.

Will this be fixed in newer firmware for the C6300/AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Unable to set to Internet time?

Hello Spider223

With cable modems that info is updated by the CMTS which is the server that tells your modem to work and give you the correct speeds and all the info the modem needs to communicate.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
Spider223
Guide

With cable modems that info is updated by the CMTS which is the server that tells your modem to work and give you the correct speeds and all the info the modem needs to communicate.

DarrenM

All well and good that that is how it CMTS is SUPPOSED to work,  but apparently XFINITY didn't get the message .

My router works great in-so-far as modem speeds, and with nothing dropping out during transmission, so they have two out of three, and that's not bad if I'm Meatloaf singing a a song.  But, I'm not Meatloaf, and two out of three is close, but no cigar.

My Netgear AC1750 (C6300) modem/router, of which Xfinity does not give customer support to, since it is MY modem, does not have the correct time.  I apparently have no way to override whatever erroneous time data is being sent my way.  I have owned modem\routers before, and have always had the option to set time zones, and or daylight savings time.  My previous Xfinity supplied DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola modem\router also had this capability.  I guess I don't quite understand Netgear's intent of dumbing down this modem\router.  When I read other questions/comments in the Netgear community, it sounds as if other Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 modem\routers have the ability to correct at least Daylight Savings Time, which brings me back to the same question, why would Netgear dumb down their AC1750 (C6300) modem\router?

Since Netgear doesn't give the option to set the time on this device, why include a SCHEDULE option, since I am being left to the whims of XFINITY on what date/time I am operating in,

Makes no sense to me that Netgear would cripple this device, especially in this type of situation, where apparently my ISP is sending out the incorrect time data to everyone in the Eastern Time Zone of The United States.  Is there a possibility that Netgear's firmware code for this device (C6300) is misinterpreting the time data by one bit, and toggling one hour different.

Actual time at present is 21:35, but my (C6300) is still showing 20:35

Message 3 of 10
Spider223
Guide

I just received an email today from Netgear Community with the following:

"A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!"

Not sure what the "solution" was, but there has been no solution as of yet.  The modem router is still off on it's time, Xfinity says they are send time data out, my AC1750 (C6300) is off by an hour, AND my router still does not allow me to set time or time zone (firmware version V2.01.18).

If anyone else is using this modem/router, whether using Xfinity/Comcast, or anyone else, please post here if your time is correct.

Please post your ISP (Comcast, COX, WARNER, etc..), and if your time is correct,

The current time can be found in your AC1750 modem/router under ADVANCED - SECURITY - SCHEDULE.

Message 4 of 10
Spider223
Guide

Page 33 of the downloadable owners manual for this router/modem says I should have this option:

---------------------------------------------------------

4. Select ADVANCED > Security > Schedule.
5. Specify when to block keywords and services:
•Days to Block. Select the check box for each day that you want to block the keywords or select the Every Day check box, which automatically selects the check boxes for all days.
•Time of Day to Block. Select a start and end time in 24-hour format, or select All Day for 24-hour blocking.
6. Select your time zone from the menu.
7. If you live in an area that observes daylight saving time, select the Automatically adjust for daylight savings time check box.
8. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.

---------------------------------------------------------

This option is not available.  At least not available on XFINITY.  This still needs fixed!

Message 5 of 10
Spider223
Guide

Is one tech dictionary answer all this forum gives, and then the question is dumped as answered?

Will a firmware update be forthcoming that will address this issue on the AC1750/C6300?

Any reason the options described in the users manual were taken out in the latest firmware update?

Message 6 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Spider223

I got a clarification on this the time is updated by the ISP and can not be changed manually the issue is the system does not use daylight savings so they do not have issues when they look at logs on there system.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 10
Spider223
Guide

Thanks DarrenM.  Will the next firmware update address this issue to allow toggling daylight savings time on and off?

Message 8 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Its not a firmware issue its on the side of the cable provider.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 10
Spider223
Guide

Okay, we are back to square one..  Netgear had the ability to allow the user to set daylight savings time on or off.  Netgear wrote this out of the latest firmware, at least for this model of modem/router.  Xfinity sends out standard time, not allowing for daylight savings time.  So now this is entirely Xfinity's fault.  I am back to wondering what brainiac, writing firmware decided to eliminate my only option of rectifying the situation, and allowing the correct time on my router/modem.

Of the many router/modems produced by Netgear and all other manufacturers, how many would you guess do NOT have the option to set daylight savings time?

i have a "smart home", including video surveillance, automatic lighting, voice control in every room, and it's really weird that out of all of the devices that are connected to the internet, the only device i have that doesn't know what time it is, or if daylight savings time is on or off, is my NETGEAR AC1750/C6300 ROUTER/MODEM.

As I said at the beginning of the message, WE ARE BACK At SQUARE ONE, and it appears Netgear is happy to lay the blame elsewhere.  Netgear had the ability to mitigate the problem, with earlier firmware (page 33 of the owners manual), and chose to turn their back on their customers.

Please escalate this to someone who can fix the problem, as Xfinity is not to blame for Netgear's decision to eliminate a few lines of code in their firmware.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7