× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Firmwar update problem on Nighthawk MR1100

Chien35
Tutor

Firmwar update problem on Nighthawk MR1100

I'm on  firmware NTG9X50C_10.12.02.01 and   I have problem update the firmware.

First try  Check  for Updates  but only show CHECKING  so  I try Factory Reset and have the new firmware available to download but the download always failed.

Did I miss something?

I've  googling around but no luck.

Model: MR1100|NIGHTHAWK M1
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
Chien35
Tutor

The problem is solved now because the new firmware just update today and now we can manually update the firmware by select the firmware file.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 20

All Replies

@Chien35 wrote:
...and have the new firmware available to download but the download always failed..

What does that mean?

This link:

>>> MR1100 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

suggests that there is no firmware available.

So what are you doing?

Message 2 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

Message 3 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

Message 4 of 20

Screenshot_2018-03-04-00-53-50

For the benefit of other viewers.

Never seen that before.

Do you have an ad blocker active?

How are you doing this? Browser? App?

Message 5 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

No ads  blocker installed on my phone and computer.

I tried on my phone and computer with browser and   app on my phone.

Message 6 of 20
UK-based
Luminary

Are you running the MR1100 without a battery? If so, my experience is that it won't update because the firmware/software is currently programmed to check that the battery has at least 20% charge before it will update. So if you're running with a battery, make sure it's charged above 20%.

I hope the firmware/software will be changed to allow updates to proceed when running solely on a mains charger, provided that the charger is supplying adequate power, i.e. 2.4A and preferably Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 compatible. The standard 2A mains charger that has been supplied to date is inadequate to run the MR1100 reliably without an installed battery - it frequently reboots when under any power-consuming "stress".

Message 7 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

First of all my device is Nighthawk M1 Telstra unlocked and I use with Cambodia  Smart and Metfone, not yet try other carrier.

No Memory Card or Flashdisk plug on my device and I use battery to operate it.

I've tried it with battery more than 20%  mostly 80% up.

Message 8 of 20
UK-based
Luminary

Other people on this forum with unlocked MR1100s have also reported problems updating their firmware. Depending on the way the software is written there could be a problem trying to upgrade a former Telstra device from another country - this is just a guess. One of the Netgear Moderators could confirm whether this is the case or not. Alternatively, you could raise a support case directly with Netgear to get an answer on this.

Message 9 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

You were right, why they not make an executable file to make it easier.

Message 10 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

The problem is solved now because the new firmware just update today and now we can manually update the firmware by select the firmware file.

Message 11 of 20
UK-based
Luminary

That's good news Smiley Happy. Did you contact Netgear support to get this update firmware, or did your MR1100 upgrade itself without having to make any changes?

When I look on the Netgear support pages in the Downloads section for the MR1100, there's a message that no firmware or software downloads are available for any of the 3 listed models of the MR1100. In your last message you mention that you can upgrade manually by selecting the firmware file. Where have you found this file?

Message 12 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

I'm just too curious to try it again and again.

I notice the firmware file size is different before about 112Mb and the lastest version is about 104Mb.

I update it by online because the only available option.

You were right there is no firmware file to download at the moment maybe the feature for the next firmware update.

Message 13 of 20
UK-based
Luminary

Perhaps the difficulty for Netgear in making firmware downloads available for the MR1100 is that the requirements for each carrier and country probably differ, so people could attempt to load the wrong firmware for their device. However, it seems that a version of the MR1100 that isn't "tied" to specific carriers may soon be released, so firmware downloads for this would hopefully be made available on the Netgear site.

I checked to see if there are firmware downloads for other Netgear LTE devices on their site. None of the LBxxxx models currently have firmware downloads. Some of the AirCard models have firmware downloads and it's interesting to see that the AirCard 308U (Telstra) has a firmware download, so my comment above regarding concerns about people loading the wrong firmware doesn't seem to be the case.

By the way, thanks for the Kudo Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 20
Gbear1984
Tutor

Hi

May I know what's the firmware update number is? Because I just got a replacement set with an old firmware that's running fine. Previously I got a lot of problem after updating. So would like to know what's the firmware update number

Thank you!
Message 15 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

I have uploaded the picutre on post number 11  the version is NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00

Message 16 of 20
Gbear1984
Tutor

Thank you so much!

Hope to hear more updates from you! Kinda have phobia updating it cause if it has problem again ill have to send back againnnn
Message 17 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

You are welcome.

Why you should hesitate to update it if your device still covered by warranty.

If you have problem after update, try to factory reset and if the  problem still exist don't hesitate to post it here.

Thank you for the kudo by the way.

Message 18 of 20
Gbear1984
Tutor

Oh that's because I don't stay in Australia. The copy that I got it's from a third party. Though am sort of covered by the third party? But the process of getting to change is too troublesome. Plus I am traveling to Sydney next week? Just want to have a trouble free router for my whole trip.

But I have to say the previous firmware was quite horrible.
Message 19 of 20
Chien35
Tutor

I see, just in case if something happen again maybe you can ask them to update it  to the latest firmware  and ask them to check all the function before send it back to you.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7