× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: How to create ports in firewall using LB1120 Modem?

Elmer2flp
Aspirant

How to create ports in firewall using LB1120 Modem?

I am having a really hard time creating firewall ports so I can access connected devices. I have the LB1120 connecting to the internet, then an ethernet cable connecting the LB1120 to the WAN jack on my Cradlepoint MBR-900 router. I have tried to access several devices connected to this router, including a webcam, a computer, a weather station and an IP power switch. I have tried creating firewall ports in both the LB1120 AND the Cradlepoint router, but am unable to connect to any of these devices from the internet, regardless of whether the LB1120 is in Router or Bridge mode. The only connection I can make, strangely enough, is using Splashtop software. Please help!

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tested if these devices work if the router you have is set as a access point?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
Elmer2flp
Aspirant

No. But in desperation, I plugged the Ethernet cable from the LB1120 into one of the LAN jacks on my router INSTEAD of the WAN jack, and now all the devices can see each other and have outgoing access to the internet, so it appears the router is acting like a simple network switch. HOWEVER, I still can not get my LAN to accept incoming traffic, even though I create firewall ports in the LB1120 and in the router. HELP! Again, the only incoming traffic permitted seems to be from Splashtop.

Message 3 of 4
Elmer2flp
Aspirant

Well, I've tried several times to create ports in the LB1120 firewall, but when I test them on a port testing website, no luck. I think in retrospect my mistake was connecting a router to the LB1120 when I should have connected a simple network switch. I believe somehow the router is interfering with the ports I try to create in the LB1120 firewall, even though I create the same ports in the router as well. I should also add that only the LB1120 is in DHCP mode, not the router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7