× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR1100 Force Firmware Check/Update

Dorian123
Aspirant

MR1100 Force Firmware Check/Update

I'm currently running 10.20.05.00.

I had a pending firmware update (to .02) which I had not run before doing a factory reset.

When I check for updated firmware now, the router says it is up to date (it isn't), and it won't let me re-check without another reset.

How do I force the hotspot to grab and install the latest version?

Message 1 of 7
UK-based
Luminary

I'm in the UK and my carrier is EE. My firmware version is currently NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00. It's quite likely that the version numbers differ between countries and carriers, due to customisations. So your web-based interface may differ from mine. Anyway, in my web interface the Settings > Administration > Firmware Update section has a button "CHECK FOR UPDATES" with the date of the last check below it. Are you saying that this button either isn't in your web interface or isn't clickable?

Another option would be to try the Netgear Mobile app under Settings > Firmware > "CHECK FOR UPDATES". If you don't already have the app, here are the locations of both the Android and iOS versions. Both my web GUI and the app indicate that my M1 is doing a regular auto-check without my intervention.

I suppose there's one other reason why your M1 won't update to the .02 release - it may have been deleted from the Netgear site (or wherever it's hosted) due to issues. The problem with this hidden auto-update system is that we never know what releases are available and we have no clue what new features and bug fixes have been implemented because no changelogs/update history files are publicly available. I hope Netgear make these available in future - I'm sure this would reduce the number of support requests they receive.

Message 2 of 7
Dorian123
Aspirant

The “check for update” button exists. However, it can not be pressed repeatedly. In other words, after clicking the button, it disappears and is replaced with the text “The software is currently up to date.” No amount of reloading the page or switching devices brings the “Check for update” button back.
Message 3 of 7
UK-based
Luminary

I've had a similar problem in the past but it resolved itself. My guess was that for some reason, the location where the updates are hosted was inaccessible.

Two questions:

1. Have you tried both the browser-based interface and the Android or iOS app?

2. Are you running the M1 without a battery on just the mains charger? If so, my experience is that it won't upgrade the firmware. It requires the battery in situ with at least 20% charge. See this post.

Regarding the version numbers, I checked back through my previous versions and see that I was also on NTG9X50C_10.20.05.00 just before it auto-updated to NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00. See this post on version numbers. Are you also in the UK with the carrier EE?

Message 4 of 7
Dorian123
Aspirant

I am plugged in to mains on an upgraded QuickCharge charger, and running with a battery, however I can’t verify that it was more than 20% charged. This was directly after unboxing the unit, so you may very well have pinpointed the issue there.

I’ve tried mobile web browser, desktop web browser, and iOS app. All seem to be locked out of re-checking for available updates and assert that the software is up to date.

I’m on ATT in the US.

I understand the rationale of preventing users from hammering the “Check for update” button. However, I can’t find anything documenting how long we are required to wait before checking again. 24 hours? 7 days? Surely this is documented somewhere. Or perhaps can just be determined based on common user experience?
Message 5 of 7
UK-based
Luminary

I've just tried clicking the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button in the browser-based GUI a few times, each within about 10 seconds of each other. The first two clicks returned "Up to date - Last checked..." including the current date and time. The 3rd click hung with the button label "CHECKING..." so I refreshed the browser window and got the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button back. The next click worked fine again. So it seems there isn't a time factor preventing repeated clicks.

Hopefully, when your battery is above 20% charge you'll have success. You can see the charge level in Settings > Nighthawk M1 Status > Diagnostics > Device.

As a matter of interest, what's your full version number, including the letters and numbers before the 10.20.05.00? I'd like to compare it with my version to see if it's carrier-specific.

Message 6 of 7
Dorian123
Aspirant

The device has updated itself without any action on my part.

I can confirm that, at least for AT&T versions, the "Check for Updates" button can only be clicked once every 24 hours (approximately).

This time limit seems to survive resets of the device as well.

I can't think of any particular reason why the device would have not located the .02 version initially (it has a release date of December 2017, so it was definitely available), but it seems to have resolved itself.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7