× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

NIGHTHAWK® M1 MOBILE ROUTER (MR1100) working on Sprint Network

Warhascome
Guide

NIGHTHAWK® M1 MOBILE ROUTER (MR1100) working on Sprint Network

Moving to a Rural area, and this modem seems like a good choice.

But will it work on the Sprint network as it's predicessor did not?

Thanks.

Warhascome

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: NIGHTHAWK® M1 MOBILE ROUTER (MR1100) working on Sprint Network

Sprint will not be supported.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Sprint will not be supported.

Message 2 of 10
nomad247
Tutor

Got mine to work perfctly on Verizon today, using a tracfone APN setup, and when i shut it off to go back to my ATT sim card, it actually saved my settings, Worked great. Yopu do have to add the APN setup before it will work.

Message 3 of 10
Warhascome
Guide

So why is that? It does not support Sprint. It supports AT&T, which has no reception where I live. But sprint, it is about 120 down 20 up vs AT&T 3 down 1 up. Sprint does do Sim cards, so why does it not support Sprint? Software flash update? The fact you did not know Sprint has Sim cards?
Message 4 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Warhascome wrote:
So why is that? It does not support Sprint. It supports AT&T, which has no reception where I live. But sprint, it is about 120 down 20 up vs AT&T 3 down 1 up. Sprint does do Sim cards, so why does it not support Sprint? Software flash update? The fact you did not know Sprint has Sim cards?

Verizon has its own techinical approval process to allow a device to work in its network. MR1100 didn't have that approval. If you use Verizon SIM card in MR1100, it may work initially, but there is a chance that Verizon may block the service to MR1100. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
nomad247
Tutor

Sprint uses CDMA, ATT uses GMS. Verizon also uses CDMA. Around here you can use page plus on verizon, sprint and ATT, Tracfone on Verizon networks, worked for me today, you just have to enter the correct apn name, For Tracfone on verizon, I used tracfone.vzwebt for the name, put mobile broadband for the APN, for PDP, I put ip4ip6, and for PDP roaming I put Ip4, none for authentication. You would have to get a sim card from tracphone, or could get a sim from Pageplus cellular on sprint. Let me know if you can get the sim, The supplier should tell you the APN settings. My router model number is MR1100-1A1NAS. I did not buy it from ATT. Next month I probably will switch to a verizon plan because I would pay a good bit less by going to either the tracfone or pageplus cellular, like about 35 bucks less. Ask and I will tell you where I got it. It did really well today on verizon. Dont worry to much about the CDMA verses GSM. All carriers will very soon, this year, infact go to GMS. Later this year, Netgear is coming out with a new version of this router, one that will run 5G. I will find a plan that supports 5g and get that new router, for sure.

Message 6 of 10
Warhascome
Guide

I am talking about Sprint would never have Verizon as they are a crappy costly service. Asking about Sprint
Message 7 of 10
nomad247
Tutor

Understood, I feel that was about ATT. I was using a third party sim, like tracfone and pagerlus cellular. Both of these are piggy backing off the big name carriers, offer plans at a cheaper rate. I doubt verizon itself would allow my router which is custome made for ATT. I just did not buy it from ATT so it is not "branded" by ATT. This thought was for you to try one of these third party vendors. I am pretty sure they provide for which ever carrier you tell them you want, like straight talk from walmart. Straight talk comes with three sims cards, you use the one for the carrier you want. I was just saying that the tracfone I tested today, ran off verizon networks. I live rurally as well and only two work out here, ATT and verizon. Personally, I detest ATT, wanted to know if my router work work on verizon, and it did via a tracfone sim. The only other thing I can add is once I setup the APN settings for tracfone, it worked. I would guess that you could buy a cheap plan for tracfone on Sprint and setup the APN and test it. What I entered was tracfone.vzwebt (APN) mobile broadband (APN name), for PDP I used ip4ip6. for PDP roaming I used ip4, none for authentiction. Would guess for Sprint it would be tracfone.spwebt, or what ever the 2 character disignation is for sprint, probably the rest is the same . This plan is 50 a month if auto-pay, 55 if not autopay. Would be worth it to buy a cheap plan, add the APN settings and see if it works. Would go to advanced > cellular, and ADD the new APN stuff. They sell these plans on EBay, been using ATT for 10 months then the supplier decided to raise his price, cancel service that was already paid for to force his cstomers into the higher price, from 49.99 to 79.99. I got a refund after trying to get him booted off ebay, just buy cheap at first to test it. I went with another resellar at a higher price, wanted to test verizon on my router and it worked, under a tracfone sim plan. Probably going with the tracfone next month. My whole point of posting about this was others here said it MIGHT work but would not save the APN settings so would have to re-enter them every time I booted the router. That turned out to be wrong, settings remained. Is food for thought. It workeed for me and saved the settings, wghich in these forums, they said would not save them. Worth a shot.

Message 8 of 10
Warhascome
Guide

@nomad247 wrote:

Understood, I feel that was about ATT. I was using a third party sim, like tracfone and pagerlus cellular. Both of these are piggy backing off the big name carriers, offer plans at a cheaper rate. I doubt verizon itself would allow my router which is custome made for ATT. I just did not buy it from ATT so it is not "branded" by ATT. This thought was for you to try one of these third party vendors. I am pretty sure they provide for which ever carrier you tell them you want, like straight talk from walmart. Straight talk comes with three sims cards, you use the one for the carrier you want. I was just saying that the tracfone I tested today, ran off verizon networks. I live rurally as well and only two work out here, ATT and verizon. Personally, I detest ATT, wanted to know if my router work work on verizon, and it did via a tracfone sim. The only other thing I can add is once I setup the APN settings for tracfone, it worked. I would guess that you could buy a cheap plan for tracfone on Sprint and setup the APN and test it. What I entered was tracfone.vzwebt (APN) mobile broadband (APN name), for PDP I used ip4ip6. for PDP roaming I used ip4, none for authentiction. Would guess for Sprint it would be tracfone.spwebt, or what ever the 2 character disignation is for sprint, probably the rest is the same . This plan is 50 a month if auto-pay, 55 if not autopay. Would be worth it to buy a cheap plan, add the APN settings and see if it works. Would go to advanced > cellular, and ADD the new APN stuff. They sell these plans on EBay, been using ATT for 10 months then the supplier decided to raise his price, cancel service that was already paid for to force his cstomers into the higher price, from 49.99 to 79.99. I got a refund after trying to get him booted off ebay, just buy cheap at first to test it. I went with another resellar at a higher price, wanted to test verizon on my router and it worked, under a tracfone sim plan. Probably going with the tracfone next month. My whole point of posting about this was others here said it MIGHT work but would not save the APN settings so would have to re-enter them every time I booted the router. That turned out to be wrong, settings remained. Is food for thought. It workeed for me and saved the settings, wghich in these forums, they said would not save them. Worth a shot.

Thanks for the input.

Reason I was asking about Sprint is I am grandfathered in with them, and the plan I have is $30 a month, unlimited data, and NO THROTTLING.

So for me to be able to use the box with them would be pretty good. Right now, I have a sim card in my Samsung Pad they coaxed me into.

It is paid off, but still have the sim. So I am guessing, if I put it into it, and use the an APN that works, it would work.

I do see these on Alibab for about $150, and they are unlocked, which I am guessing it is not attached to any carrier.

I have seen some on there that say they won't work in the US also. So have to really pay attention.

Friend bought the previous version from Amazon but was locked to ATT.

Won't work for me as ATT sucks out there. Need to use Sprint.

Message 9 of 10
Warhascome
Guide

@JohnPeng wrote:

@Warhascome wrote:

Verizon has its own techinical approval process to allow a device to work in its network. MR1100 didn't have that approval. If you use Verizon SIM card in MR1100, it may work initially, but there is a chance that Verizon may block the service to MR1100. 

Thanks

Was not talking about Verizon. Was talking about Sprint. If I had an unlocked version of the box, would it accept a Sprint sim and APN?

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series