× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 - Maintenance Release?

aiotechnv
Tutor

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 - Maintenance Release?

@JohnPeng You commented on another thread back in April 2023 that Dish and Netgear were working on a maintenance release for the Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 (Dish). Do you have any updates you could share about a potential upcoming maintenance release, or a possible timeframe for one? The device hasn't been updated since November 2022, and it feels like the device has been abandoned. Dish has been brushing me off on trying to replace it as well.

Message 1 of 4
aiotechnv
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 - Maintenance Release?

@ChristineT or @BretD Can you help with this?

Message 2 of 4
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All,

NETGEAR is no longer supporting Software updates for Dish devices.  Please contact Dish customer service for any inquiries.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 3 of 4
aiotechnv
Tutor

So let me get this straight... Netgear and Dish release a device with half-baked software, release a patch that only fixes a roaming issue, then leave us hanging with a device that overheats and barely works while devices in the same family have received patches for those very issues?

I have filed support tickets with Dish. I never hear back. I call back to follow up, they tell me they're working on it, but have no answers for me. I try again months later and they tell me they created a new escalated ticket, but can't give me a ticket number. I try again a month later and they tell me they can't find any record of tickets in my name and to try reaching out to Netgear for support. Well, Netgear support is only good for 90-days from date of purchase, and is only for installation help. All other support must come from this forum. So I come to this forum, where @JohnPeng provides some support and assures us all that patches are coming, but Netgear is waiting on Dish to approve them.

Then finally one day, a patch arrives for the M6 Pro! But not mine, the MR6400. Because Netgear decided to stop supporting the MR6400 at some point. No notice that this product has reached end-of-life on the product's support page, nothing in the post for the latest firmware update stating the MR6400 would not be receiving the update. Just this forum post that says Netgear no longer supports this device, contact the Dish customer service black hole. Where I won't receive meaningful help (because the device's software has been defective from the start), and they won't have any updates on the support tickets they've had months to work on. And I'll be stuck with an unsupported $400 hand warmer that will work as a hotspot for a little while after it finally cools down (or if I keep it refrigerated), and only with a VPN (because Netgear's mobile router can't actually handle DNS lookups and externally route packets when more than one device is connected).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7