× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6450) keeps restarting itself during high download speed

pyun
Tutor

Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6450) keeps restarting itself during high download speed

Just like the topic suggest. My MR6450 keeps restarting itself during high download speed. The thing is that it does it every time I start a download on Steam. When it gets around 50-60mb/s that's when the router gets too warm and restart itself. Just like when a CPU gets too hot. I tried looking around to see if it's a common problem but I couldn't find any information on my issue at all. It's getting very annoying though. Does anyone know if there is a fix?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6450) keeps restarting itself during high download speed

Do you have the battery in it? 

Is it running of AC power? Or battery? 

Are you connected to it over wireless or over wired connection?

A small laptop fan might not be a bad idea if its getting that hot. 

Message 2 of 8
pyun
Tutor

No battery. It's AC-Powered.

It's connected over wired connection. Although, there are 2 routers in between the Nighthawk M6 Pro.

My PC > Access point router > Router > Nighthawk M6 Pro.

The reason for all of that is because I am in a cabin outside my house. The Nighthawk M6 Pro is inside the house.

At first it only happened sometimes, but now it happens everytime I download something. Very annoying.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Just to test it, does it happen if the battery is in it? 

I've seen some power supplies that can't put out their full power and under load, cause issues. 

So might be worth checking to see if maybe when its under load, if its overloading the power supply and causing the reboot. 

Message 4 of 8
pyun
Tutor

I will try just that. I'm just afraid that the download speed will be so much lower. But I guess a working router is better than a router that restart itself all the time.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Not saying you have to stick like that. Just for testing to figure out where the issue is stemming from. 

Message 6 of 8
pyun
Tutor

I thought I'd give an update on my situation.

I switched to battery and ran with it a few days and so far there has been no reboots, but... The connection can be unstable at some point. Then there's the issue of the speed. Usually I'm around 500-700 mbit but now I'm at 80 mbit.

So I tested a speedcheck on my mobile phone just to see if it was my location. My phone reached 800 mbit so it clearly is not my location.

I have rebooted the Nighthawk and my routers many times only to see that none of it worked.

My conclusion is that there is something wrong with my Nighthawk M6 Pro.

It is just so frustrating to spend almost 1000 euro/dollars on something that does not work the way it is supposed to.

I will just contact support and see if I can send it for a fix.

Message 7 of 8
stavster
Aspirant

Thats not even high speed. I very occasionally get 750M download on mine and it doesnt reboot by itself. (More often than not 20M - 50M download is usual, got another thread on that issue) It does get hot though.

You sure its just not powering off because it has no connected clients? I've noticed mine can do that sometimes. Try tweaking the screen timeout settings etc

I would definately send it back for a return/replacement if thats not the issue.

Regards

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7