× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Switch from English to Danish NBK752 NBR750

OrbiSIM
Aspirant

Switch from English to Danish NBK752 NBR750

I cannot change the language from English to Danish on my NBR750 with firmware V4.6.5.11_1.5.66. (Part of the NBK752 Mesh system)

"The router failed to download the language table..." is all I get. See pic.

Can anyone help?

Thx.

Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the language change still fail?  I did the change on an Orbi router (different model) several hours ago and was successful.  Perhaps there was a temporary network problem?

Message 2 of 15
OrbiSIM
Aspirant

Yes, it has failed every single time I have tried. Still does. I can use every other languages but Danish.
Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Very strange.  Just now, I changed language on an RBR750 router from 'Auto' to 'Dansk' (and back).

I find the description of the language selection process confusing. When the screen says, "Please wait for updating the..." the user probably infers that this means the router is connecting to some site at Netgear and downloading a file.  My original RBR50 router had a provision to open a command line access (telnet).  When doing that, it is obvious that the web site code has a directory called "Language" which has individual Java Script files for  27 languages.  I extracted the file "Danish.js" and saved it to a Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/er3yl6ps1es973j5sdr5p/Danish.js?rlkey=njfc7lyk1quz78mqbt8ems2e5&dl=0 

Thus my understanding is that changing language is done internally (in the web code) by running a Java Script to replace hundreds of variables with new content. There is no network connection.

If every language except Dansk seems to work, perhaps there is something wrong with the "Danish.js" file in the web code.

• Maybe it is not present for the NBR750 firmware?
  • Maybe it has been corrupted somehow?

Netgear customers in the US are often surprised to learn that the purchase of an Orbi system entitles them to only 90 days of 'complimentary support', after which they can either purchase a support contract from Netgear or turn to community forums for assistance.  I have a vague memory of seeing a comment that customers in some countries have more 'customer friendly' support rights.  Is perhaps Denmark one of the countries where customers are due more support than customers in the US?

Message 4 of 15
OrbiSIM
Aspirant

Thank you for such an informative answer. I will try to use the danish.js file later. Have a nice day.
Much appreciated 👍🏻
Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear completely rewrote the web interface when the AX series was created, so the variable names are probably different.  The point was to illustrate what changing language appears to entail. (resetting the content of text variables).

If the interface will change successfully to every other language, I suspect there is "something wrong" with the process of changing to Danish, such as:

• a coding error in the drop down menu function that selects the language file
  • a missing file
  • errors in the Danish file

One possible solution would be to reinstall the firmware or manually install a different version of firmware.

The current version is v4.6.5.11

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/nbr750/#download 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co... 

Message 6 of 15
OrbiSIM
Aspirant

I have both reset and updated/downgraded the firmware several times with the same error as a result. I think there is something wrong with the Dansk/Danish language file since the two other Scandinavian languages Norwegian and Swedish work perfectly. Is there a way to inform Netgear, so they can fix the Dansk/Danish file?
Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiSIM wrote:
 Is there a way to inform Netgear, so they can fix the Dansk/Danish file?

Perhaps sending a private message directly to one of the forum moderators?

Moderators have a capital N after their screen name, such as @KevinLiT 

Past 90 days, the support web site will not let customers open a case.  If the product is still within the 1-year warranty (US. Don't know what warranty is in the EU) I suppose a person could open a warranty replacement case and perhaps get to converse with someone that way.

@schumaku : any ideas?

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

It turns out  that there is a method to gain access to a command line interface on the 750 series of Orbi routers.  It requires attaching a USB->serial device to the serial pins mounted on the printed circuit board and using the converter with a terminal program such as PuTTY.

Also clear that Netgear completely redesigned the Orbi web interface for the AX series products.  That directory of language Java Script files seems to have disappeared. (at least I haven't found it yet)

Looking at the web page source using the debugging feature of Google Chrome, it appears that the language menu may function differently depending on which web browser is being used.  The code checks for these browsers:

• IE
  • Firefox
  • Opera
  • Safari

No mention of Chrome (or the dozen other web browsers: Bing, etc. guess they all are 'default'?)

Maybe there is a chance that a different browser would be able to change language???

Message 9 of 15
OrbiSIM
Aspirant

I have only tried Safari. Will try others soon. Will reveal results later. Thx.
Message 10 of 15

@OrbiSIM wrote:
I have only tried Safari. Will try others soon. Will reveal results later. Thx.

Safari is one of the only browsers that Netgear warns against for various moves.

Here's one of those warnings:

"This recovery process is supported in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome browsers, but not in the Safari browser."

I have no idea if this applies to language switching, but it is a bit of a red flag.

Message 11 of 15
OrbiSIM
Aspirant

You are right. Thanks. Will try and will return with feedback.
Message 12 of 15
OrbiSIM
Aspirant

I have now tried with Edge to download and change language to Danish. It does still not work and the error message is the same. Thx for all your answers and replies. I will drop it for now.
Cheers.
Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Realized that I had not confirmed one detail: Does changing language require an active internet connection.  it appears that some languages can be changed without an internet connection, while other languages require an internet connection.  On my RBR750, Dansk is one that requires internet.

Makes no sense to me at all.  Probably not important because the error on your system does not refer to the network connection.  Was just surprised there would be any difference from one language to another.

Message 14 of 15
OrbiSIM
Aspirant

Thx for your reply. I have always had active internet connection. Best regards
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements