× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Using a TPLink Powerline extender with Nighthawk M1?

creekaggie
Aspirant

Using a TPLink Powerline extender with Nighthawk M1?

HI,

Having issues getting a viabe internet connection when connected to the extender.  

ie:  No internet, SECURE appears in my Wifi selection list.

Am told I need to add the extenders MAC address to the wireless bridge in the Nighthawk. Have that... 9C-B6-D0...etc. and can access the Nighthawk setting via the android app, but not sure where this MAC address can be added?  thanks for help suggestions

Roger

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 4

@creekaggie wrote:

HI,

Having issues getting a viabe internet connection when connected to the extender.  

Hard to unravel what is going on here.

First, what is this TPLink Powerline extender? Is it a plain plug or one with a wifi access point built in? (I assume that you have already asked TPLink for help.) Is that the wifi we are talking a about?

What "issues" do you have?

Some sort of error message?

Is this it?

@creekaggie wrote:

ie:  No internet, SECURE appears in my Wifi selection list.

Where do you see this Wifi selection list? A PC? Laptop? Something else?

What does that message actually say. It doesn't look like anything I have ever seen.

@creekaggie wrote:

Am told I need to add the extenders MAC address to the wireless bridge in the Nighthawk.

Who told you that?

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

Those things are very different from the standard Netgear routers covered in this section.

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
creekaggie
Aspirant

Yeah, I agree with the unraveling. You don't know the half of it.. Yes, indeed have posted this issue on the TP forum board.

Got a Nighthawk M1100 and AT&T broadband service. Has the ethernet port and the 2 TS9 antenna ports. All are occupied. The ethernet cord connects directly from the M1 to the adaptor included in the https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa7510-kit/ TP powerline kit. The extender is pluggeg into the same electrical curcuit in another room. Supposed to be a plug and play system, but you can manually pair the 2 devices for operation.

Neither method is working for some reason. Have tried reseting etc. There is some sort of connection as it shows up in the wifi list on the laptops and even the TP utility program. But "No Internet, Secured" is the description for the wifi connection. I know it must be something easy to do to get this up and going again. Before, I accidentally must have done something to get it to fully connect as it mysteriously connected one day. Just trying to figure out what I did..lol

Also notice a M2 variant of the Nighthawk Hotspot. It apparenly is lacking in several of the bands/networks that the M1 has. Its said it will not function with US providers as well due to this. Why did it get short-changed?

thanks for any ideas/suggestions,

Roger

Message 3 of 4

@creekaggie wrote:

Got a Nighthawk M1100 and AT&T broadband service. Has the ethernet port and the 2 TS9 antenna ports. All are occupied. The ethernet cord connects directly from the M1 to the adaptor included in the https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa7510-kit/ TP powerline kit. The extender is pluggeg into the same electrical curcuit in another room. Supposed to be a plug and play system, but you can manually pair the 2 devices for operation.

So, you have an MR1100 (that's not an M1100 as above). The Ethernet from that feeds the Powerline "host" plug.

Powerline is usually plug and play, but only if it is plugged into a system that works.

Can you plug something else into the MR1100, such as a laptop, to confirm that you have got that correctly configured?

That takes the Powerline plugs out of the picture and confirm that the network is fine without it.

@creekaggie wrote:

There is some sort of connection as it shows up in the wifi list on the laptops and even the TP utility program. But "No Internet, Secured" is the description for the wifi connection.

Again, it isn't clear to me what is going on at your end.

You will see wifi coming from the AP plug if you just plug it into the wall. That just shows that the wifi bit is broadcasting. But if there is no Internet connection coming on the mains circuit, then the wifi clear cannot connect to the Internet.

But "No Internet, Secured" could mean either that it hasn't connected to the Internet, or that it has connect but the connection is not "secure".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7