Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can no longer access remotely access Circle on my Netgear Orbi router RBR20

treaders76
Guide

Ongoing "Unable to find Circle. What would you like to do next? Try again. Pair new Circle." error message screenshot attached. This is the message I see when trying to connect to Circle remotely. Same error message for ~3 months.

Message 26 of 72
pecastillo
Tutor

I tried the software update and everything and still the same. I'm not entitled to open a support request with Netgear cause my Orbi already passed the support period. The Circle service is a subscription and remote access control is one of the main features, if it doesn't work anymore it is not worth to continue with this. I'll be looking at moving to Eero and the equivalent Circle service. 

Message 27 of 72
treaders76
Guide

Try this Netgear support page

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Select "I have a Subscription service" and go from there. See attached screenshot.

This is how I managed to contact Netgear customer support regarding my Circle subscription remote access issue.

Even though my Netgear Orbi support period has ended.

Message 28 of 72

My support ticket has now been escalated to a higher tier. I hope they have some suggestions to fix this. 

Message 29 of 72
wing001
Initiate

I don't think this is a Netgear problem. We have the same issue with a Circle Gen 1 without a Netgear router. It's a Circle app issue. Like everyone else it only started this year and remote access had been fine for years before that. I contacted Circle and after doing all the things requested with no resolution I got the following from Circle support:

"I'll get your case added to our investigation. The investgative team should let you know as updates are made available."

Message 30 of 72
treaders
Star

Wow! No wonder Circle says, “we’ll talk to Netgear” and Netgear says, “we’ll talk to Circle”… 👈👉

I’m still waiting on a response from Netgear after they elevated this issue to their engineering/technical team and for them to talk to Circle. This was several weeks ago.
Message 31 of 72

Same here. My ticket was elevated and haven't heard anything from them since. It seems there is not much interest to fix this issue at all

Message 32 of 72
treaders
Star

Netgear called back today Fri 5 May. Netgear engineering wanted to know if I have blocked port 443 on my router. I have not. I have not customised the Orbi router in any way. They also asked if my internet service provider, Vodafone Australia, may have blocked port 443. I am not aware of Vodafone Australia doing this.

Message 33 of 72

Nope. I’m with Telstra for mobile and I can’t imagine they did that either.
I’ve also made no custom changes to the modem or router.
Definitely an issue at their end.
Message 34 of 72
kamying
Aspirant

I dont think the internet provider will do so. I am from HK, I am also experience this issue suddenly; so just tell the support this is their issue and it is suddenly happened all over the world. However, it may better to find Circle support rather than netgear.

Message 35 of 72
treaders
Star

Hi Kamying, I agree. I've been bounced between Circle support and Netgear support since the end of January. I'm told by Netgear support that Netgear engineers are now talking to Circle support.  

Message 36 of 72

Yep same here. Support came back to me asking to check port 443. If port 443 would be blocked all my home devices wouldn't work at all. Also the Orbi app still works as well

We have this bug many months now. I think it is time to think about compensation for people that affect this. Maybe a reduction of the subscription would be appropriate 

Message 37 of 72
treaders
Star

Netgear support called back again today. Apparently Netgear's engineers are insisting I contact my Internet Service Provider (ISP) Vodafone Australia to check if Vodafone block port 443. Feels like a time consuming exercise. Gut feeling is this will not resolve the issue. I am not even confident if Vodafone Australia will tell me. I am confident that getting a clear answer from entry level Vodafone Australia support will be time consuming.

I have successfully used Circle on Netgear Orbi for ~2-3 years and I have successfully remotely accessed Circle in that time. As of January 2023 I could not remotely access Circle. I still cannot. BUT, I can still remotely access my Orbi router. I have used the same ISP for ~5 years.

Going round and round in circles (pardon the pun 😉) with Netgear and Circle for ~3-4 months now. My subscription renews in October 2023. I guess I've got another 5 months to try to resolve! 🤣

Message 38 of 72

I already confirmed that my port 443 is open. I have another server running where I connect remotely to it via 443. That cannot be the issue.

Message 39 of 72
treaders
Star

Vodafone Australia have confirmed they do not block port 443.

"8:45 AM
Ben
Yes. Hello. We use internet parental control software called Circle. This software is provided by our Orbi wifi mesh network equipment provider Netgear. We use this software to limit the amount of time our children spend on the internet and the internet sites and app they visit. However, we are having some problems with Circle and so Netgear support asked me if our internet service provider block port 443. Specifically, we cannot remotely access the Circle software either via a cellular connection or from another remote internet connection. Does Vodafone Australia NBN block port 443 on the Vodafone modem/router? Thanks, Ben"

"8:52 AM
Rahul
I've got this checked Ben. We don't block the port.
If there are any changes required, you can make them via the modem with instructions from the provider.

8:56 AM
Ben
Ah, thank you Rahul. I thought that was the case but Netgear asked me to check.
Understood"

Message 40 of 72

Thanks for chasing that one up. Hopefully now they believe us both that the port 443 is not blocked 🙂

Message 41 of 72
kamying
Aspirant

It should not related to 443 port issue, please tell the support. The whole world are not able to use remote access of Circle since this January; it should be the issue from Circle, please tell them to test rather asking internet provider.

Message 42 of 72
treaders
Star

I have. I will. The issue keeps getting elevated (and pushed back to me). The issue is now so elevated I think it just went through the roof of the Netgear engineering support building... 😉

Message 43 of 72
kamying
Aspirant

Thanks a lot! I also want to report to support but my warranty already expired and I cant do anything, thanks again for your effort to push! 🙂 This feature is really important to me and the users I think.

Message 44 of 72
treaders
Star

Latest Netgear support request that I have completed:

Please take a screenshot that shows your Router Status.

Here's the instruction how to get into Router Status page.

1. Access orbilogin.com and login using your admin credentials.
2. Go to Advanced>Click on Administration then select Router Status
3. Take a screenshot of the whole page showing the router information etc.

Message 45 of 72
NateT
Tutor

Man I've been trying so many things and I think whatever success you have might be all of our success. I've been pushed from Circle to Netgear and they just seem to get us jumping through hoops.

I do hope they work out out soon. We're with you Ben!
Message 46 of 72
treaders
Star

Thanks NateT!

Latest information provided to Netgear

Disabled Vodafone modem/wifi hub wifi functionality
Disabled wifi functionality from Vodafone modem router so it operates as plain modem only (not a wifi hub). Still could not access the Circle iOS app remotely.
Netgear asked for me to also try Vodafone modem bridge mode. I don't think the modem offers bridge mode.

Provided internet equipment topology to Netgear
National Broadband Network (NBN) Arris Network Termination Device (NTD) connection box CM8200B brings internet into the house via a hybrid fibre coaxial connection
NBN Arris NTD connection box is connected from UNI-D1 port to Vodafone Australia (Internet Service Provider) Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub modem DMA0120VHA WAN port
Vodafone Australia Vodafone Wi-Fi Hub modem LAN port connected to Orbi RBR20 5A04035R026E1 Internet port
Orbi RBR20 Internet port connected to Netgear ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit Switch GS108v4

Per Netgear request connected Orbi RBR20 directly to NBN NTD connection box
Also tried connecting the Orbi RBR20 directly to the National Broadband Network (NBN) Arris Network Termination Device (NTD) connection box CM8200B. The internet stopped working. Still could not access the Circle iOS app remotely. I reverted back to the topology detailed above and the internet started working again.

So, I still cannot access the Circle iOS app remotely.

Message 47 of 72
kamying
Aspirant

It must be problem from Circle, but seems no solution and kicking people around. I feel it is not likely to solve finally. Is it failed for all Netgear product with Circle? If yes, I will not purchase any netgear product anymore; they have no support at all!!!

Message 48 of 72

Support came back to me asking to reproduce the issue with the exact timestamp so they can look up in their log files what is happening. There is movement but agree it is very slow

Message 49 of 72
NateT
Tutor

Tried today at 11.49 Australian Eastern Standard Time on May 30. Screenshot attached.
Message 50 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 71 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7