Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Crashing/locking D7000 Modem/Router

Soupladel
Aspirant

Crashing/locking D7000 Modem/Router

Ok, I know there are a number of threads on this subject but you can add me to the list - I have had my D7000 Nighthawk less than 24 hours and i am already fed up with it constantly locking up.

The problems started out of the box - i immediately upgraded the firmware as recomended, everything seemed to eb going ok until i tried to reserve some IP addresses, the modem took this setting and completely ignored them, i could see the settings had saved but the router wouldnt assign those addresses to the devices even after the lease for the device had been renewed, or even the device restarted.  Furthermore, during this process the router locked up several times and by locked up i mean all the pertinent LEDs were on and white, but i could no longer connected via wifi.  Even a direct ethernet connection was not able to access to router.

So after much research i read that the IP reservation issue could be resolved by downgraded to the previous version of the firmware, which again was problematic because i couldnt get the router to stay active logn enough to download the file, then upload it to the router as it kept crashing.  Eventually i managed and went back to V1.0.0.32_1.0.1, as is good practise in these scenarios i did a factory reset.  I was then able to set up my reservations but sadly it did lock up a couple of times but i assumed this was because it just didnt like me setting as many reservations at once.  

For a period everything was working ok, but sadly when i woke up this morning the router had frozen (as above, all LEDs on, no wifi or ethernet access).  I have tried various things such as changing wifi channels, changing SSIDs but the thing is still locking up periodically.  My final resort has been to entirely switch of wifi and return to using my Apple Airport for the generation of the wifi, with the D700 handling everything else, but i am not conifdent this will work.

I have to assume this is likely a faulty unit, but is there anything i have not yet tried which may help resolve the sitatuion before i take it back and get myself a modem/router that actually works?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
Soupladel
Aspirant

Would it be worth going back even further in terms of the firmware, or is it likely i have just been sold a lemon?

Message 2 of 6
buzzlightyear
Initiate

Everything you are describing is exactly what I get too - I see that the latest firmware has been pulled.  I too went back to 1.0.0.32_1.0.1 as the device to IP address mapping was just being ignored - I wasted half a day sorting that one out!! But its the locking up that does it for me, I have lost half my connection speed (on BT) because of the constant reboots - in the last 3 months I have once gone back up to "normal speed" only to lose it a day later because of 3 reboots in 24 hours!!

Personally I've had enough and going to return the device.

Message 3 of 6
Soupladel
Aspirant

Well I dont want to say my problem has been entirely resolved, but i have now gone a few days without a lock up and the last change i made was switching off the 20/40 MHz coexistence.

Message 4 of 6
Tch
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got my D7000, and everything seemed to be going fine until it tried to update firmware, which didn't finish and the light for Internet and dsl went out. I already swapped out two units and don't really want to go back to Best Buy to swap this one. A tech had me pay 249.99 to try and help me, but it didn't work yesterday. Anyone know anything I can do?
Message 5 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Tch

You will want to try and factory reset the device and make sure when updating the modem you are connected to it via Ethernet and not over the wireless as it can cause a firmware corruption. If you still can not get the modem to respond I would contact Netgear Support.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7