Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6300 - Cannot connect to SMB shares on Win 7 machine

MightyBoB
Follower

D6300 - Cannot connect to SMB shares on Win 7 machine

After many many years using an old Linksys Modem/Router, it finally gave up the ghost. In my infinite wisdom I decided i'd get this new Netgear D6300 to help bring me in to the new era.

Anyway, my issue is this:

After having successfully configured the D6300 so it has internet access, all my other devices (phone, wdtv live, laptop, etc) can successfully use wireless to connect to the internet (yay!) however, my WDTV (nor phone(s) ) cannot reach any of the SMB shares that have been set up on my primary Win 7 PC which hold all my media. I had no issues whatsoever accessing these same shares with the Linksys modem but with the D6300 set up, I can't access any of these same shares and its frustrating as hell! I managed to grab hold of another Linksys router to check if there is something else hindering my ability to access these shares but, I had no issues accessing these shares with this other Linksys router.

I did firmware upgrades, downgrades, resets, reboots, etc with no luck. I want to send out an S.O.S to any other D6300 users and see how they have overcome this issue??
Message 1 of 7
aim54x
Aspirant

Im having similar issues at the moment. My ReadyNas and my ReadyShare drives are inaccessible via WiFi at the moment. Works fine when I am linked to the D6300 via Cat6. Have you tried a wired connection to see if you can access your SMB server?
Message 2 of 7
aim54x
Aspirant

I am a noob and the email support team pointed out that my problem was likely to be caused by having WiFi Isolation active, maybe have a check to see if this is the same for you
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Support is likely to be right. "Wireless Isolation" can cause issues mostly Wired and Wireless communication.

Hope that will fixes for you
Message 4 of 7
CRC666X
Aspirant

I have been using the Netgear D6300 for nearly 2 months now. This issue you raised has been happening for my LAN as well. I came across Wireless Isolation today, whilst at work, and was excited that it may have been that I had inadvertently checked them as all the symptoms pointed to Wireless Isolation being the issue. Once home I realised that they were already Disabled (Wireless Isolation was off on both frequencies).

In my case I was able to get around it as my old Belkin N+ router I reconfigured as a second WAP for the other end of the house. It is connected to a Netgear ProSafe Switch as is the D6300.

Today I used the online chat to support, in which I felt like I was communicating with a computer having to amend the support's understanding of the problem about six times.
    After an agonising time frame, they got me to re-flash the firmware to the latest, which I was already on. This of course lost Internet connection during the process and then they were no longer available 2 minutes later.
    Re-flashing did not resolve the issue (as expected).
    I have tried enabling the Wireless Isolation and later disabling it again, but to no avail.

Anyone have this issue and have a work-around?

I did read of a UK chappy in these forums that returned his D6300 for this issue. I like the rest of the device and would prefer not to return it.
Message 5 of 7
NoXoZ
Aspirant

MightyBoB, I just have one question here. Were you able to ping your wired devices using your wireless devices?
Message 6 of 7
JChrist2014
Aspirant

My solution to gain wifi access to all my LAN shares (win7) from my Android phone was to turn off the 'Access Control' with in the Netgear D6300 settings. Leaving all Firewalls on.

Job done....well for me anyway.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series