Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 constantly dropping out

Dave29
Aspirant

D7000 constantly dropping out

I bought a D7000 late last year. Since then had nothing but trouble with it dropping offline. I'm working with our ISP as well, but hitting both fronts at once cuz I'm so fed up with it. For instance, today it has dropped out at least 4 times (that I noticed), for as long as 20 minutes.

Sometimes it's just a couple of minutes and usually it reconnects by itself. Sometimes I need to reboot it using the hardware switch.

I noticed tonight that when it dropped out I lost both the DSL and Internet lights, then when the DSL light came back, the modem became unresponsive. I could not login via any means, nor could I ping it.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest version today in the hopes it would fix the issues, but seems to have gotten worse!

Can anyone please help?
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Dave29
Aspirant

Re: D7000 constantly dropping out

Good News!  All fixed..

so I cracked the **bleep**s and called AussieBB while I was d/c the other day and they detected an open circuit - something physically broken in our line somewhere - finally, some progress!

NBN tech came within 2 working days and found a fault upstream from our house (about 100m) - fixed it.  Also decided that our first socket was poorly wired and replaced it.

Tested our modem and works perfect again (at least speeds-wise, will have to wait a few days/weeks to watch for dropouts).  We are now getting almost full speed as per our plan - 20-24 mbps down and 3.9-4.5 mbps up on a 25/5 plan.  Ping is nice and low as well - 10 ms to google au.

So at the moment, looks like the modem is free from blame and we are back to good service.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Dave29
Aspirant

Port stats as requested.
Message 2 of 10
Dave29
Aspirant

The low speed was because of a "stability profile" applied by AussieBB to try to fix the dropouts. It's since been lifted because it fixed nothing. Normally would get very close to the 25 Mbps we pay for (within 2 Mbps).

Something I noticed today was that when it dropped out I was able to log in to the modem, but when the DSL came back on the modem became uncontactable and seemed to be frozen without having connected to the internet. I left it like that for about 45 mins and there was no change. As soon as I restarted the modem it reconnected to the internet just fine.
Message 3 of 10
Dave29
Aspirant

Here are a couple.  Really annoyed now, we used to be getting a solid 23-24 mbps all the time, but the last couple of months it has been all over the shop.  Don't seem to get above 10 now.

Message 4 of 10
Dave29
Aspirant

Message 5 of 10
Dave29
Aspirant

Firmware is 1.0.1.64
I updated in the hopes it would stabilise things, but it anything it's gotten much worse.

RE: splitters, etc., no we don't have any that I'm aware of, we've only been here a few months but I looked everywhere I could to check for that sort of thing. Like I said, our connection was rock solid for a while, then after a month or so we noticed dropouts, then they got more common and longer, now our speed is way down as well.
Message 6 of 10
Dave29
Aspirant

I didn't factory reset, I'll try it.

I've been on to AussieBB and they can't seem to find any problems.. blamed the modem...
Message 7 of 10

@Dave29 wrote:

.. blamed the modem...

The universal response, pass the buck. But they may be right, hence the reset advice.

If that doesn't fix it, you have more evidence.

Those symptoms sound just like those I had when an intermittent line fault sent my speeds all over the place. It was worse when it rained. Cover had come off a junction box up a telegraph pole, letting the rain in.

Message 8 of 10
Dave29
Aspirant

Good News!  All fixed..

so I cracked the **bleep**s and called AussieBB while I was d/c the other day and they detected an open circuit - something physically broken in our line somewhere - finally, some progress!

NBN tech came within 2 working days and found a fault upstream from our house (about 100m) - fixed it.  Also decided that our first socket was poorly wired and replaced it.

Tested our modem and works perfect again (at least speeds-wise, will have to wait a few days/weeks to watch for dropouts).  We are now getting almost full speed as per our plan - 20-24 mbps down and 3.9-4.5 mbps up on a 25/5 plan.  Ping is nice and low as well - 10 ms to google au.

So at the moment, looks like the modem is free from blame and we are back to good service.

Message 9 of 10

@Dave29 wrote:

Ahem, what did we say?

Looks like you have a VDSL line problem in the Downstream direction.

from @Case850

Those symptoms sound just like those I had when an intermittent line fault sent my speeds all over the place.

from yours truly.

Once again, evidence that there are lies, damn lies and ISP excuses.

Glad it worked out. With refreshed wiring maybe you'll have a reliable connection for some time.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7