Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7800 dropping LAN connections

RabidStoat
Follower

D7800 dropping LAN connections

Hi,

noticed this for the last couple of weeks, but it might have been happening since i got the device. Every 4 or 5 days, the device drops the LAN connections (only). WAN and Internet are fine. The LEDs indicate activity but all attached devices indicate that IP is down - no routing, no DNS etc. powering off the devices makes no difference, the only recovery that works is to power cycle the unit. Running default setup other than WLAN names and passwords etc. 

anyone seen anything similar ? 

Message 1 of 6

Re: D7800 dropping LAN connections

Did you check for any firmware updates when you received the D7800?

Boxes rarely arrive with the latest firmware installed. You should have received an alert when you set up the thing, but you never know. That's always the first thing to check.

Message 2 of 6
GoldenTao
Tutor

Yes I'm seeing the same issue. Have tried a hardware reset (suggestion from Netgear Support) and that appeared to fix the issue for about a week, and now it's back, happening a random amount of time after reboot (anything from 4hrs to 3days)

Message 3 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello goldentao

Is this happening to just one device on LAN or do you multiple others on LAN and they all go out at the same time?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 6
GoldenTao
Tutor

Sorry for the late reply.

It's always at least one device, but I've had it drop up to 3 ethernet devices. In this case, it's always my server, but I've had it drop other PC's and rarely my PC as well.

Message 5 of 6
GoldenTao
Tutor

To add more information to this...

Router indicator leds stay lit and flashing.

Device port link lights stay flashing.

Unplugging/replugging cable does not bring the device back onto the network.

Switching the ports of a working and non-working ethernet device does not bring the non-working one back onto the network and the working device continues to work.

In this instance, 3 of the 4 ethernet devices dropped, 2 static IP addressed devices and one dynamic.

Nothing of note in the logs of the router.

All wireless devices continue to work unaffected.

I found the non-static device was unable to get an IP from DHCP. Static leases held their details but couldn't access the network.

I've now switched over to Open WRT to see if that helps get rid of this issue.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7