Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGN2200v4 VPN issues

rhyds
Aspirant

DGN2200v4 VPN issues

We have recently bought a DGN2200v4 for use with a Virgin Media Cable broadband connection, having used a DGN2200v1 for many months on a plain adsl link.

The v4 is connected to the Virgin Media Superhub router via an ethernet link in to its WAN port and to the rest of our network by a LAN link.

Our problem is that while we can get a VPN to come up between the v4 router and its partner (a DG834G) i.e. both ends show the link as connected in VPN status, we can't get traffic to cross the link.

Another problem is that the Virgin Media Superhub router can't be put in to "modem mode" so it is applying NAT itself, along with the DGN2200's NAT. In this situation in the past (when we had a DG834 and an FVS124G) we got around this by setting the IKE remote identity type to "Fully qualified domain name" which allows Key exchange to work fine.

If anyone has any ideas short of me having to pay extra for a full 5 address static IP allocation rather than sticking with the one I have please let me know!
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Another problem is that the Virgin Media Superhub router can't be put in to "modem mode"

This the reason VPN do not work
Message 2 of 7
rhyds
Aspirant

Is that purely down to the double NAT? As I have previously managed to have a DG834/DGN2200 "in front" of an FVS124G in full router/NAT mode without an issue.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Possible using WAN instead of DSL connection with DGN could be an issue as well too
Message 4 of 7
rhyds
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Possible using WAN instead of DSL connection with DGN could be an issue as well too

I tested the router for VPNs over the WAN link by using another DGN2200 in router mode and it worked OK.

It looks like we'll have to stump up the extra for the 5 IP subnet.
Message 5 of 7
rhyds
Aspirant

Just an update in case anyone has the same issue:

There's a slight bug in the Virgin Media Superhub software. If you turn off/disable the superhub's firewall it doesn't allow PPTP or IPSec traffic to flow through the router. If however you enable it, then allow PPTP/IPSec it allows the VPN traffic to flow normally.
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Thanks for the updates
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series