Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Download Speed From My Router Internet Stats Vs speed Test Readings (ISP Talktalk)

215liverpool
Aspirant

My Download Speed From My Router Internet Stats Vs speed Test Readings (ISP Talktalk)

Hi there,

I'm just a bit confused with the internet stat readings that i'm getting from my router vs the results from online speed tests and I wonder if someone could help.

Below are my router readings and my download connection speeds are 73mbps. Whenever I run speed test my download speeds are always spot on 60mbps. I have also ensured that no other devices are connected to the internet when I run the online speed test. I understand that talktalk reserves 4mbps for the youview tv box but that still leaves around 9mbps. 

I'm relatively new to this router as I was previously using the HG633 router that Talktalk provides. I was having problems with the router (well the firmware to be precise.) which triggered the DLM to bring my download speeds down. My speeds have crept up slightly since then but everything seems to have stalled.

Can anyone help with my question ? I'm also using the latest firmware for the router.

Thank you 

System Up Time  03:10:09:54
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANLink up29903961796469040108881452002:22:45:33
LAN 11000M/Full1850184813235252014520515900:23:37
LAN 2Link Down00:00:00
LAN 3Link Down00:00:00
LAN 4100M/Full03:10:09:16
WLAN b/g/n600M373348956585003573112103:10:08:38
WLAN a/n/ac1733M640087731838149209588738103:10:08:36

DSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed73.31 Mbps20.00 Mbps
Line Attenuation11.60 dB13.20 dB
Noise Margin5.90 dB15.30 dB
Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: My Download Speed From My Router Internet Stats Vs speed Test Readings (ISP Talktalk)

I assume that any speedtests you run are done wired rather than wifi.

I would suggesting asking TalkTalk about this, but as this is the least competent ISP you could possibly have – I dumped TalkTalk a while back – I wouldn't expect much help from them.

What happens with the old modem?

It can also take quite some time for speeds to creep up. How long has it been in place?

Message 2 of 8
215liverpool
Aspirant

Re: My Download Speed From My Router Internet Stats Vs speed Test Readings (ISP Talktalk)

Hi there

Yes the speed tests were done via a wired connection. I also ensured that no other devices were connected while the tests were done.

I haven't been signed up to FTTC for very long so within the the first week I was getting to speeds on the talktalk (HG633) router (75mbps down and just under 20 up.)

On the HG633 after the settling in period and the dlm management kicked in my download speed when down to 52 and 19 up. I'm just over 100 metres from the cabinet. Talktalk run some line tests and said the can't find anything and won't do anything as I'm just within the guaranteed speed bracket still. I did some investigation and it seems lots of people have problems with the HG633 ( well its the firmware and the bad wifi distance that it has.) The problems with the firmware have an adverse effect on the DLM which dragged my download speeds down and switched on interleaving as well to try and stabilise things.

My D7800 came last Wednesday and I plugged it in that evening. The following morning I updated the firmware to the latest version and it's been good ever since.

When I first plugged the D7800 in the router gave me a download connection reading of 62mbps which has now gone up to 73.3mbps ( this must has updated sometime Friday morning.) My actual download speed has now crept up to 60 from 52. It's now been plugged in for 3 days solid without any interruptions (according to the router logs.)

Do you think i should just leave it longer to see what the DLM does ? Is there also a way of finding out whether interleaving is still on through the D7800 router logs ?

The HG633 showed this on the connection stats and also the interleaving depth but I can't see it on the D7800 router information. 

Thanks for your time.

Message 3 of 8

@215liverpool wrote:

Do you think i should just leave it longer to see what the DLM does ? Is there also a way of finding out whether interleaving is still on through the D7800 router logs ?

No harm in doing that. I have found that FTTC broadband is slower to respond to conditions than regular ADSL.

Unfortunately, in my case it has been a gardual decline in the speed I get. I am on BT Infinity. It started at around 75 Mbps but has since fallen to 63 Mbps. I haven't chased BT because it is fine for my needs.

I actually have two lines, one on Infinity 1 and the other on Infinity 2. There is now not much difference in their speeds, since BT upgraded the slower Infinity service.

Message 4 of 8
TheEther
Guru

If I'm not mistaken, the speeds reported by the router's Internet stats page are averaged, not instantaneous.  For example, the WAN port received 14520 Bytes/second over the course of 2 hours and nearly 23 minutes.  Running a speed test will bump up that average but you will not be able to see the true max speed reflected in the average.  You can reset the statistics while running the speed test.  The average will, briefly, correlate very strongly with the speed test.

Message 5 of 8

@TheEther wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the speeds reported by the router's Internet stats page are averaged, not instantaneous.

If you are mistaken, that makes two of us. I agree, averaged, not "live".

I would not rely on the modem to provide me with detailed speed data. I always use an on-line test site for speed tests.

Actually, I run regular tests on half a dozen different speed testers. I then feed those into a spreadsheet that records what is happening over time.

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@TheEther wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the speeds reported by the router's Internet stats page are averaged, not instantaneous.

If you are mistaken, that makes two of us. I agree, averaged, not "live".

Thanks for confirming. 

I would not rely on the modem to provide me with detailed speed data. I always use an on-line test site for speed tests.

I, too, would not rely on it solely, but it is another data point and can be helpful in determining the source of congestion. 

Actually, I run regular tests on half a dozen different speed testers. I then feed those into a spreadsheet that records what is happening over time.

Good idea, though hopefully your service isn't subject to any data caps and/or your tests are infrequent enough.  

Many people don't realize that a speed test is a measurement to one server somewhere in the Internet.  This measurement does not always equate to the speed of one's link to the Internet (in most cases, it does or else it wouldn't be very useful), nor does it always equate to the speed to other parts of the Internet.  The Internet is very much like real-life roads and freeways; some are free-flowing and fast and others are grid-locked.  Anyway, you seem to know this, so this is for the benefit of other readers.

Message 7 of 8

@TheEther wrote:

Good idea, though hopefully your service isn't subject to any data caps and/or your tests are infrequent enough.  

No caps. I'm "unlimited".

I run tests infrequently. Often days go by. The idea is not to get hung up on what is happening now but to check long term trends and to spot any sudden changes or, as is happening now, a steady decline in the speed.

If things look wonky, then I may run tests at several times during the day.

Many people don't realize that a speed test is a measurement to one server somewhere in the Internet.  

That is why I check four or five different sites, as well as my ISPs. They deliver an average that is good enough for my purposes.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7