Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN on D7800

dermitchie
Aspirant

VLAN on D7800

Hi - I have a D7800 on firmware 1.0.1.24. 

I would like to have two VLANs on this router:

1. Physical Port 1 - connect to a WIFI Access Point

2. Physical Ports 2-4 and Wifi 2.4 and Wifi 5

Devices on VLAN1 shouldn't be able to access devices on VLAN2. Both VLANs should have access to the internet. 

I am essentially setting up a guest network in a part of the property where the guest WIFI doesn't reach. There is a LAN cable to that part of the house, though, to which I can connect a WIFI access point. 

Have watched numerous tutorials and have also got a Netgear Switch available if required - it's a GS105E.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Netgear's consumer line of routers don't have the kind of VLAN support you need.
Message 2 of 10
dermitchie
Aspirant

OK thanks - I was told all I need was a router with VLAN capability. 

Maybe someone can explain the difference between VLAN on domestic routers and VLAN on commercial ones? 

Message 3 of 10
dermitchie
Aspirant

Also - could I not just add a switch to do the job?

Message 4 of 10
TheEther
Guru

The VLAN support on Netgear consumer routers is typically limited to tagging packets on the WAN interface with the option of bridging one or more LAN ports.

What they lack is the ability to support VLAN(s) on the LAN ports while still functioning as a router/firewall/NAT to the WAN port.
Message 5 of 10
dermitchie
Aspirant

OK - think I understand, and this is why adding a switch wouldn't work either I guess. 

Can you recommend a comparable business router that would work?

Message 6 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@dermitchie wrote:

Also - could I not just add a switch to do the job?

Ideally, you would use a layer 3 switch that can restrict inter-VLAN traffic.  

If you use a "regular" managed switch, there is a risk that traffic from one VLAN could go up to the router, which would happily send it back to the switch to go to the other VLAN.

Message 7 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@dermitchie wrote:

OK - think I understand, and this is why adding a switch wouldn't work either I guess. 

Can you recommend a comparable business router that would work?

While I have no personal experience with them, Netgear's UTM and VPN security products would probably work.

Ubiquiti's Edgerouter line is also good.  Either a Edgerouter Lite paired with a managed switch, or an Edgerouter X, which has a built-in switch, are good choices.  Being SOHO/low-end business class routers, they are a little more difficult to set up.  There is a decent forum where you can get help.

Message 8 of 10
dermitchie
Aspirant

So the edgerouter X wouldn't be OK along my R7800 - I'd have to plug it into my Modem and then add a WIFI hotspot, correct? 

Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Do you have a D7800 or a R7800? In any case, you can repurpose it as an Access Point.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7