× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configuring WNDR4500 as a LAN switch

irritated_user
Aspirant

Configuring WNDR4500 as a LAN switch

Hi,

I've got one of the new Netgear routers (R8000) and I wanted to use the WNDR4500 to use the LAN ports on the same subnet as my R8000.  

I had tried assigning an unused LAN IP on the same subnet and turning off DHCP and broadcast of SSID, but I was dropping ~50% of the packets, so something is up.  Tried different IPs, tried resetting and reconfiguring the same again, but problems continued.  

Currently, nothing is plugged into WAN port.  

Don't want to use wireless on WNDR4500, don't want it to send out DHCP either, just figured I could use the LAN ports for printer and a couple other things.  

Any ideas?  

Thanks

Chris

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What you want to do should work fine if you use a LAN port to connect to the R8000, it’s up to you if you disable wireless but you don’t have to. You are correct in disabling DHCP and setting a the LAN IP for the ‘4500 is a good idea.

About the only thing that I can think may be going wrong is when you set the LAN IP / Disable DHCP. These settings are on the same router page and it’s typically the case that when changing the LAN IP the connected computer will lose its connection to the router, and in that case maybe when you disabled DHCO the web browser was actually showing cached data. There’s a slim chance that’s the issue, but what you want to do is pretty straightforward and should simply work.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What you want to do should work fine if you use a LAN port to connect to the R8000, it’s up to you if you disable wireless but you don’t have to. You are correct in disabling DHCP and setting a the LAN IP for the ‘4500 is a good idea.

About the only thing that I can think may be going wrong is when you set the LAN IP / Disable DHCP. These settings are on the same router page and it’s typically the case that when changing the LAN IP the connected computer will lose its connection to the router, and in that case maybe when you disabled DHCO the web browser was actually showing cached data. There’s a slim chance that’s the issue, but what you want to do is pretty straightforward and should simply work.

Message 2 of 3
irritated_user
Aspirant

Hi,

I was able to try this again over the weekend, as far as I can tell, it's working as I wanted.  

Not sure if I just had a typo before or didn't apply a change, but I'm good now.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7