Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318G-100NAS ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall

Robert505
Aspirant

FVS318G-100NAS ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall

Hello,

I have the FVS318G-100NAS ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall,  and a new netgear modem CM600. I have a problem with the internet

disconnecting from my devices (internet radio, internet TV, or computer) for only a few seconds or minutes. I watch the lights on the modem

and the internet service lights will still be blinking, and the WAN on the router will be blinking. So, I connnect back to the device, then, later,

maybe a couple of hours later it will disconnect again. I have been looking at the modem and router lights when the disconnect occurs, and

for a few seconds the WAN on the router stops blinking, but the modem lights still indicate service. The Spectrum technician has been over

twice, and shows me on his device that there has been no outage. Both, he and I think there is something going on with the router.

What could be causing these disconnects?

Thank you,

Robert505

Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FVS318G-100NAS ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall

Hi Robert505,

Welcome to our community!

It seems that you are having issues connecting the FVS318G to the CM600 modem. Have you tried bypassing the firewall and connecting directly to the modem? You may also try replacing the cable. I don't see any issues connecting to CM600 as this is just a modem. You may also try to test the firewall by looping an Ethernet cable from LAN going to WAN, then check if it will receive an IP and if it still disconnects.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Robert505
Aspirant

Hello JohnCarloV,

Thank you for your response to my problem. The problem with the random drops in connection has been going on for years. Most of the time I have had a Time Warner/Spectrum modem. I just purchased the CM600. If I connect a device directly to any of the modems I have had, there are no disconnects. Every thing works fine eliminating the router, and plugging straight from modem to device. Both myself and the Spectrum technician think there is a problem with the router. With the router hooked up, all devices work fine for a few hours, and then start the disconnects. The random disconnects are solved with rebooting, and then they start again.

I just received a new Netgear ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall FVS318G-200NAS. So I am upgrading from the FVS318Gv1 to the 

FVS318Gv2. What I have read online about the FVS318Gv1, I am not the only one experiencing random drops in connection with this model router.

I will continue the post again next week, after I install the new FVS318Gv2. I hope everything goes better.

Thank you very much John.

Robert505

Message 3 of 5
Robert505
Aspirant

Hello JohnCarloV,

well, I received my new ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall FVS318G-200NAS (*FVS318Gv2), and installed it. It has been over 24 hours,

and there are no random disconnects, like I had with the FVS318Gv1. I can only conclude that something went wrong with my first router, or

that the version 1 had some glitches. So, I am very happy.

One problem though, when I go to the Web Management Interface at http://192.168.1.1, I get a Certificate Error message for that website, and that it is unsafe. What is wrong there? Please help. The website interface functions fine.

Thank you very much,

Robert505

Message 4 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Rober505,

This is actually normal as the certificate of the firewall is using a factory default self-assigned certificate. It is nothing to worry about.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements