Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318N WAN to LAN throughput and performance

SamirD
Prodigy

Re: FVS318N LAN to WAN throughput and performance

So I finally had a need to try the upgraded firmware v4.3.4-1, and I'm very happy to say initial results look great!  I saw 170+ down, which I had to check several times just to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I'm going to let it sit overnight and let's see if the throughput reduces.  I'll be a happy camper if it doesn't as I was going to replace one of these in the field because it wasn't able to handle the full bandwidth of 150/25.

Message 26 of 32
SamirD
Prodigy

As an update to this, it's 24hrs later and a speedtest was still 170+ and everything working smoothly.

I have set up an iperf test that will pass a lot of traffic through the router for the next 24hrs.  This will be my final test, and if it passes, it's time to upgrade some of our production routers firmwares. 🙂

Message 27 of 32
SamirD
Prodigy

Well 2 days and half a million packets later, it's still running at top speed.  Looks like this firmware definitely solves any speed issues.  I'll be deploying it on our other FVS318Ns. 🙂

I'm really glad this worked as I was about to replace a 318N in a location where the bandwidth increased to 150/25.

Message 28 of 32
rlcarper
Tutor

No luck here,

Netgear support are still providing support on this case, but it seems that even more items are being disabled. I had rebuilt my configu from scratch after the recent firmware upgrade. I find it quite troublesome to rebuilt a complex configuration entirely from scratch with every firmware upgrade. Neatgear should really have a solution for this.

I'm considering moving over to Ubiquiti...

Message 29 of 32
SamirD
Prodigy

Every smb router has to have its config rebuilt, not just Netgear.  And the edgerouters are even worse with the entire config command line xml if it's complicated.  And you'll have to set it up every time there's a firmware update as well.

Programming is just not quality controlled enough to migrate from one firmware to another without configuration rebuilds/glitches unless you're paying thousands of dollars a year for support (ie high end enterprise gear).

Message 30 of 32
rlcarper
Tutor

Hio SamirD. it seemed taht bandwidt control driver on my ethernet card was disrupting my recent tests. Rebooted the FVS318N at noon today and so far still 190 Mbps / 30 Mbps. fingers crossed...

Message 31 of 32
SamirD
Prodigy

Awesome!  If you see any more problems, be sure to try a different system if you can.  It's helped me diagnose bandwidth issues before.  But I hope you have just smooth sailing from here!

Message 32 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements