Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318N lockup

rgehrig
Novice

FVS318N lockup

Hi

Have a few of these being used.

The one at our main office has been locking up over the last couple of weeks or so.

When this happens, wireless stops working, cannot connect to the router on its internal ip address, office cannot get to the internet, lose our VPN's to other offices.

It is running firmware 4.3.1-31.

Have to power it down, wait 30 secs, power it up to get it working again.

I did notice that it was plugged into a wall outlet, so I now have it plugged into a UPS, in case we were getting power dropouts or power noise.

It is not consistent in how often it locks up, sometimes it goes for a few days, today it did it twice within a few hours.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this. So far except for this problem on this router, I have nothing but praise for them.

Thanks
Message 1 of 11
rgehrig
Novice

Re: FVS318N lockup

I forgot to add we have a fixed IP address and cable modem is set to bridge mode.

We are using Cox cable for our internet.
Message 2 of 11
adit
Mentor

I've been running 4.3.1-22 without any issues.
Message 3 of 11
rgehrig
Novice

Since putting it onto a UPS have not had another lockup, but the time it has been up is short. Will continue to monitor it.

All the others we are using are plugged into UPS's, and we have not had any issues.

I still suspect power line issues. A very brief power drop out (less than 30ms) can cause odd behavior of electronic equipment, I have observed this in the past and have also tested equipment at a previous job to see its vulnerability to such drop outs. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the test equipment to test the router.
Message 4 of 11
rpv
Novice
Novice

rgehrig,

how id it going?

I got the FVS318N Love the hardware and got everything working. I have ATT Uverse Max speed, get around 30 Mbps/5Mbps. I did speedtest through FVS318N and it showed above results. Ran for 10 hours then locked up. Reboot router did the trick.

I really hope this is a software issues and Netgear fixes it. I will open a separate thread if this happens again. maybe differnt issue than yours
Message 5 of 11
rgehrig
Novice

Having the router plugged into a UPS seems to have solved the issue.

Have not had any more lockups in the few days since.
Message 6 of 11
fordem
Mentor

FWIW - I've been running an FVS318N since May - has never locked up -
Message 7 of 11
rpv
Novice
Novice

fordem wrote:
FWIW - I've been running an FVS318N since May - has never locked up -

what firmware version are you using.

I am using latest, and it has locked up 4 times in last 3 days. Since my voice is also through OOMA VOIP, i had complete disconnection and i had to power cycle netgear and everything is all up. i really love the device but the lockup is frustrating. both wired and woreless locked up.

It is the TX that locked up. I dumped a pcap file from the WAN and captured packets for 10 mins. All I can see is ARP broadcast packet coming into WAN port but no outgoing packets. I like this cool diag feature of capturing packets. Cisco SMB routers like RV130W has port mirroring, I am contemplating getting a RV router while i try to solve this netgear issue. Why should UPS solve the issue. Is netgear cannot tolerate spikes?

my main purpose is to use a SPI firewall in these machines. My ATT uverse is hammered with attacks from China. I wonder why ATT Uverse don't filter the packets.
Message 8 of 11
fordem
Mentor

rpv wrote:

I can't answer that off the top of my head - easiest way is to say I'm two releases behind the current firmware, and that's because the last two releases do not allow a number of "special characters" in the admin password.

Why should UPS solve the issue. Is netgear cannot tolerate spikes?

It may not have been the Netgear - the chances that that user put only the Netgear on the UPS is slim - my entire network infrastructure is protected by an APC SmartUPS - power glitches will still cause "service interruptions" - in my case, the DSL modem loses sync with the telco DSLAM - few persons take the time to perform systematic troubleshooting of the type you have described - I used to in my younger days, but few people are willing to pay for the time it takes.
Message 9 of 11
Nhellie
Virtuoso

I don't think it has something to do with or without having a UPS, these devices are certified to comply to electronic standards so it shouldn't be a question if the devices can take spikes on power. I'd look at the firmware side first.
Message 10 of 11
fordem
Mentor

rpv wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Ver 4.3.0-19

Nhellie26 wrote:
I don't think it has something to do with or without having a UPS, these devices are certified to comply to electronic standards so it shouldn't be a question if the devices can take spikes on power. I'd look at the firmware side first.

One of my "areas of responsibility" is power protection - installation & maintenance of Eaton Powerware products - do not underestimate what a power surge or spike can do - you maybe thinking of equipment damage, but take it from me, that's actually the least of your worries, data corruption in memory or on stored media is a bigger problem.

The other thing I'll tell you and this is based on having seen the internals of these units - there's no significant emphasis on protection, not in the power supplies and not on the network interfaces.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements