Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failover when IP on WAN2

Poisell
Aspirant

Failover when IP on WAN2

Hi,

i more have a question than a problem.

I configured one IP (say 192.168.1.56) to access over WAN2 only, whereas for other users I configured Loadbalancing.

How would the FVS336g v2 manage access for 192.168.1.56 if WAN2 was down ?

Will Loadbalancing automatically route all users to WAN1 including 192.168.1.56 ?

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 8
fordem
Mentor

Re: Failover when IP on WAN2

Try it and see - unplug WAN2
Message 2 of 8
Poisell
Aspirant

ok, I thought maybe s.o. could help me without me plugging and unplugging ... otherwise I wouldn't have asked...

as it is plugged on a credit card terminal, I have to change configuration to make the test...

sorry to ask
Message 3 of 8
Poisell
Aspirant

If I didn't have to re-configure everything to do the test I would have done just that, and obviously I wouldn't have posted this question...

But thanks anyway for your help
Message 4 of 8
fordem
Mentor

If it's configured like you say it's configured, then all the tests requires is for you to unplug ONE cable.
Message 5 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

Testing it by unplugging the connection from the Internet source would simulate a true problem on that Internet connection. And because you can't do this during times when the CC terminal is being used, try the test after hours. You should see it automatically fail over.
Message 6 of 8
fordem
Mentor

First - the concept is that when you balance, you can specify either specific protocols or specific hosts to be bound to a particular WAN port - if that port fails, all traffic is supposed to be routed via the other WAN port - I have tested this with protocol bindings, but not host bindings. Second - WAN port failure detection - this is done either through a DNS lookup or by pinging a server of your choice and it will take roughly TWO MINUTES to detect and fail over - IF IT ACTUALLY FAILS OVER - choose the server carefully - failover will only occur IF the link failure is between the WAN port and the server you have chosen - if the failure occurs "upstream" from that server, it will not be detected. Last but not least - EVERY "back up" plan needs to be tested - it's the only way to guarantee that it works - it also needs to be tested at periodic intervals to ensure functionality.
Message 7 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

fordem wrote:
this is done either through a DNS lookup or by pinging a server of your choice and it will take roughly TWO MINUTES to detect and fail over - IF IT ACTUALLY FAILS OVER
Wow, does it really take this long on the Netgear multiwans? The Cisco rv series is pretty quick to enable failover, but you can adjust the number of timeouts before the wan is disabled, so setting it to 3 5s failed pings will fail over the connection in 15s. I'm really shocked to hear you say it takes two minutes.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements