Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restore configurations failed- "CONFIGURATION FILE CRC FAILED"error

Zafar
Follower

Restore configurations failed- "CONFIGURATION FILE CRC FAILED"error

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to restore the setting on my router but getting CRC failed error.

I upgraded the router to 4.3.3-6 which didn't accept the setting- checksum error. Then I had to downgrade the router to old firmware 3.0.9 but Now I'm getting CRC failed error.

Any suggestion please?

Regards

Adnan Zafar

Message 1 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Restore configurations failed- "CONFIGURATION FILE CRC FAILED"error

Hi Zafar,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I assume your concern is kinda similar to this forum thread.  I advise you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  Let them know your concern for further assistance. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Zafar,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 11
vlad_tepelea
Aspirant

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem. I own a FVS336Gv1. I am trying to reinstall the firmware 3.0.7-24 because my VPN connection does not work any longer and I suspect reinstalling the firmware might help.

To that effect I created a settings backup file and tried to restore it immediately for testing purposes. I am getting the nasty CRC  failed error message.

Any help please?

Best regards,

Vlad

Message 4 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi vlad_tepelea,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Is your NETGEAR VPN firewall really an FVS336Gv1?  Its because I've check your profile and it shows that FVS336Gv2 is registered under your name.  Kindly double-check if your FVS336G is a version1 or version2.  

I believe the firmware v3.0.7-24 for  FVS336Gv1 is different from the firmware v3.0.7-24 for FVS336Gv2. 

If you are pertaining to firmware v3.0.7-24 for  FVS336Gv1, download it here.  Otherwise, if your have FVS336Gv2, you may download firmware v3.0.7-24 for it here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
vlad_tepelea
Aspirant

Hello, Thank you for your answer. Let me explain about the FVS336Gv1/v2. As a matter of fact I registered both, but under different accounts. The v1 was registered with user name vlad.tepelea@centric.eu (see below confirmation e-mail for this account). Its SN is 1PD49BWC000A6. That is the one I am still owning. The v2 is not in my possession any longer and I would like to get rid of it and put instead the v1. As we speak I cannot register the v1 on my actual functioning account (vlad.tepelea@gmail.com) as the website says the number is already in use (I tried). Interestingly enough, the customer number is the same for my two accounts, only one of which is accessible (vlad.tepelea@gmail.com). I hope I clarified this issue. I definitely own a v1, but it is not on my account. If you can, please help solving replacing the v2 with the v1! I will be more than happy. Now my main question is still the same: how I am going to restore the firewall to its actual settings if the .cfg file results in CRC check fail? Other than doing it manually how can I restore the actual configuration to the unit? Is it possible that the error is precisely due to altered firmware and that on the freshly re-installed firmware it will not happen any longer? Thank you, best regards, Vlad My actual profile (screen capture) Customer number: 17173970 Email: vlad.tepelea@gmail.com Update your email address Change Password Old confirmation e-mail sent to vlad.tepelea@centric.eu From: NETGEAR Support [do-not-reply@netgear-support.com] Sent: 24 iunie 2011 12:04 To: Tepelea, Vlad Subject: Your NETGEAR Support Customer Account Information Dear Customer, Thank you for signing up with NETGEAR. Please find your NETGEAR Customer Support Portal account details below: Customer #: 17173970 Username: vlad.tepelea@centric.eu Password: CB79E088 IMPORTANT - PLEASE SAVE THIS EMAIL! You will shortly receive a confirmation email if you registered a new product with us. Visit our NETGEAR Support Website to find solutions to common questions, download product updates and manuals. You can edit your profile, submit an online ticket, register additional products by visiting ourNETGEAR Customer Portal. You can find our contact information here. Thanks, NETGEAR Customer Support
Message 6 of 11
vlad_tepelea
Aspirant

Hello, Thank you for your answer. Let me explain about the FVS336Gv1/v2. As a matter of fact I registered both, but under different accounts. The v1 was registered with user name vlad.tepelea@centric.eu (see below confirmation e-mail for this account). Its SN is 1PD49BWC000A6. That is the one I am still owning. The v2 is not in my possession any longer and I would like to get rid of it and put instead the v1. As we speak I cannot register the v1 on my actual functioning account (vlad.tepelea@gmail.com) as the website says the number is already in use (I tried). Interestingly enough, the customer number is the same for my two accounts, only one of which is accessible (vlad.tepelea@gmail.com). I hope I clarified this issue. I definitely own a v1, but it is not on my account. If you can, please help solving replacing the v2 with the v1! I will be more than happy. Now my main question is still the same: how I am going to restore the firewall to its actual settings if the .cfg file results in CRC check fail? Other than doing it manually how can I restore the actual configuration to the unit? Is it possible that the error is precisely due to altered firmware and that on the freshly re-installed firmware it will not happen any longer? Thank you, best regards, Vlad My actual profile (screen capture) Customer number: 17173970 Email: vlad.tepelea@gmail.com Update your email address Change Password Old confirmation e-mail sent to vlad.tepelea@centric.eu From: NETGEAR Support [do-not-reply@netgear-support.com] Sent: 24 iunie 2011 12:04 To: Tepelea, Vlad Subject: Your NETGEAR Support Customer Account Information Dear Customer, Thank you for signing up with NETGEAR. Please find your NETGEAR Customer Support Portal account details below: Customer #: 17173970 Username: vlad.tepelea@centric.eu Password: CB79E088 IMPORTANT - PLEASE SAVE THIS EMAIL! You will shortly receive a confirmation email if you registered a new product with us. Visit our NETGEAR Support Website to find solutions to common questions, download product updates and manuals. You can edit your profile, submit an online ticket, register additional products by visiting ourNETGEAR Customer Portal. You can find our contact information here. Thanks, NETGEAR Customer Support

Message 7 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi vlad_tepelea,

It is possible that the configuration file you are trying to restore was backed up when the FVS336Gv1 was on a previous firmware version before the v3.0.7-24.  For example, the FVS336Gv1 was on firmware v2.2.0-68 then you have backed-up the configuration file and saved it to your PC.  Then after some time, the FVS336Gv2 was upgraded to a newer firmware version then to another newer firmware version until such time that firmware v3.0.7-24 was uploaded.  Then you decided to restore the configuration file you have saved when the FVS336Gv1 was on firmware v2.2.0-68 in which the configuration file will not be restored because it came from an older firmware version and this might be the cause of the error message you have encountered. 

I suggest that you reconfigure the settings of the FVS336Gv1 from scratch since the configuration file cannot be restored. 

By the way, I have checked the serial number of the FVS336Gv1 you have mentioned and I found out that its registered to another person.  You may want to contact NETGEAR Support about the registration concern.  You will need to have the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the FVS336Gv1 as a proof that you are the original owner.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 11
vlad_tepelea
Aspirant

Hi,

I am sorry, this is not much help.

As I said in a previous e-mailI am backing up the configuration and then trying to restore it immediately thereafter and it DOES NOT WORK. It is not a matter of having generated the .cfg file using and older version of software, simply the file is not recognized.

You should be able to indicate another method than just re-configuring everything manually, for instnace a method of fixing the .cfg file or something else. Obviously this is a software error of the firewall itself, this is not normal behaviour, it has to be fixed or dealt with otherwise (workaround etc...).

That is why I am asking you, because you are supposed to know what to do, or open an investigation by someone else. That is my expectation, no more, no less.

Looking forward to receiving a real solution to my problem.

Regards,

Vlad 

Message 9 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi vlad_tepelea,

I believe the .cfg file can be opened via notepad.  Kindly try to open it and check if you can see there what firmware version is indicated.  If ever you are able to find out the specific firmware version then upload that firmware version to the FVS336Gv1 then try to restore the .cfg file. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 11
vlad_tepelea
Aspirant

Hi,
There is no point to do what you say, as the .cfg file was generated on the this very device running the latest firmware. This is the third time I am telling you this.
Any useful method suggested, beside manually reconfiguring? If not, please do not answer.
Regards,
Vlad
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements