Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

There is no product to replace my old FVS318G

LeavingCustomer
Aspirant

There is no product to replace my old FVS318G

I have an older FVS318G that I needed to replace but I cannot find an 8 port router to replace it with.  What I have found is that netgear does not make them anymore.  I would have to buy a 4 port router and 2 switches.

For the first time in 20 years I an not purchasing a netgear product as a replacement.

I really enjoyed your products its too bad you cannot support my needs.

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: There is no product to replace my old FVS318G

@LeavingCustomer,

The FVS318G along with the other NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN Firewall models are already EoL (End-of-Life) which means they're not manufactured anymore.  Kindly check the announcement here.  

I suggest you the NETGEAR BR500 Insight Instant VPN Router which is currently available in the market.  To know its specifications, kindly check its data sheet here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
LeavingCustomer
Aspirant

It wont work since it only has 4 ports and I need a minimum of 8

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LeavingCustomer,

You may connect a 5-port or 8-port unmanaged switch like the GS105v5 or GS108v4 to the BR500 so that you can connect more devices such as PCs, printer, etc in your local network. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
LeavingCustomer
Aspirant

You may connect a 5-port or 8-port unmanaged switch like the GS105v5 or GS108v4 to the BR500 so that you can connect more devices such as PCs, printer, etc in your local network. 

Why would I add another device to my network when I can have one that does it all? 

I do understand why Netgear would want me to buy 2 devices, they make more money.

Besides that I would be adding one device with 8 ports to a single port in the router.  It Would be funneling all the traffic through that one port.  Does not make sense does it?

I could get two 4-port switches that would distribute the traffic to two ports instead. 

Once again that would be great for Netgear. 

Instead I am getting one device that costs less and does everything I need.  There will only be one hop out the door and from device to device.  There are many other reasons to have one device. 

I worked for a company that tried having one router with a single drop to each area connected to a switch in the that area.  The error propagation was terrible.  To fix the issue a bigger router was added with a drop to every computer/device.  The issues went away.  Switches are often the problem not the solution.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements