× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SFP Tranceiver for 1000BASE-BX10

DooMMasteR
Tutor

SFP Tranceiver for 1000BASE-BX10

So I recently tried some of my many SFP-BiDi Modules (BX10) but they either are rejected straight away or no link up is happening on them (physical works, but nothing else).

I tired a Ubiquiti tranceiver and 2 different from FS.com (one with Netgear compat firmware, one generic) the generic one and the Ubiquiti tranceiver are rejected.

Not that would not all be too bad, if only Netgear would offer their own compatible module, but nope, the 3rd party ones are rejected/not working and you have nothing on offer, sad state.

Model: GC110P|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Re: SFP Tranceiver for 1000BASE-BX10

To my knowledge, Netgear does not intentionally reject SFP modules in this switch class as there is no spec limitation. Appears there were some other GC110/GC110P customers which found industry standard compliant modules (from wally brain variants for 1G copper Ethernet) not workable in these switches, too. 

FWIW we're operating various original Cisco SMF modules (with Cisco brand and model ID in Flash) in GC110P and similar GC and other SmartManaged Pro Netgear switches.

More food for the Ntgr switch engineering @DaneA 

Message 2 of 10
liquidate
Initiate

Fwiw, I ran into the same problem with two GC110P switches and two different transceivers brands (qsfptek and 10gtek) that I purchased on Amazon.  Based on a forum thread, I rolled my firmware back to 1.0.5.32 and both transceivers started to work immediately.

Model: GC110P|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 3 of 10
DooMMasteR
Tutor

Hmmm yeah even my Netgear modules do not work.

There seem to be a serious issue with them... wow
Message 4 of 10
DooMMasteR
Tutor

I have also tried 2 different Netgear Modules and the switch does not with with them either... There seems to be a serious issue with the firmware.

Will try the firmware rollback later... But that is obviously not a real solution.
Message 5 of 10
DooMMasteR
Tutor

I am not sure what your point was. But now knowing that even Netgears own module does not work with current firmware, bit all of them work with older firmware versions, I guess Netgear broke something and they will have to fix it.
I will not randomly buy modules, and I also need BiDi modules (single fiber), not the usual stuff (though they are not really uncommon anymore).
Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@DooMMasteR wrote:
... I also need BiDi modules (single fiber), not the usual stuff (though they are not really uncommon anymore). ...

Hope you are aware that Netgear does not offer and test (read: support) any BiDi modules.

It's not a question of common and uncommon - BiDi is still used mainly with ISPs for end-user service access channels, and not in business networks.

Message 7 of 10
DooMMasteR
Tutor

I tried a normal duplex module... The error is the same.

With older firmware I have not found any module that does not work, Dell, Ubiquiti, Cisco, HPE, Netgear and FS.com all work fine.

Wir current firmware none of the modules work.
All give the same error.
Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@DooMMasteR wrote:
I have also tried 2 different Netgear Modules and the switch does not with with them either... There seems to be a serious issue with the firmware.

Strange. The GC110P's at my customers site with a single original Cisco OEM branded SFP module on port #10 does still serve the fiber link well ongoing with the recent update to 1.0.5.35 on June 9th to some MS510TXUP with 1.0.4.1 for example.

Message 9 of 10
DooMMasteR
Tutor

I can try to bisect the firmware that creates the issue for me.. but since this is mostly a community forum and there is little chance it gets any actual attention and a fix I see little use in it.
I. Now using an earlier firmware and at least it is working...

I do not doubt that there might be modules out there also working with current builds, but I have none of those, so it is of very little use to me.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements