× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connected WAP and Router to managed switch with Port 8 assigned to VLAN 200. No internet for WiFi.

Doni49
Aspirant

Connected WAP and Router to managed switch with Port 8 assigned to VLAN 200. No internet for WiFi.

I have a GS108Ev3 - 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch that I purchased yesterday.  My router is connected to port 1.  My WiFi access point is connected to port 3.  Prior to configuring the switch to use VLAN200 on port 8, devices using the WiFi had internet access.  As soon as I assigned port 8 to use VLAN200, the WiFi connected devices lost internet connection.

If I connect it per this schematic, everything works -- my Roku TV is connected to port 8 and is supposed to use VLAN200.  Based on it's IP Address, I can confirm that it actually does get routed into VLAN200 and I'm able to stream youtube on it so I know it has internet access.  With this setup, my laptop is able to connect to the internet even when I disconnect the ethernet and use just the WiFi -- when my laptop connects to WiFi, it is part of VLAN100.  The list of ports 1-8 represent the Netgear Managed Switch.

I'm trying to eliminate the unmanaged switch from the network.

Doni49_0-1713708414228.png

If I connect it per this schematic, the Roku TV still gets assigned an IP address in the VLAN200 range and has internet access.  When my laptop is connected to port 4 (ethernet), it has internet access.  But no device connected via WiFi has internet access nor can they get an IP address from the router.  But since the only difference between those devices working on WiFi vs not working is whether or not the WAP is connected directly to the Netgear switch vs first connecting to the unmanaged switch, I have to believe it's an issue with the netgear switch.  The list of ports 1-8 represent the Netgear Managed Switch.  

Doni49_1-1713708771233.png

Here are screenshots of my VLAN configurations.

Doni49_0-1713709237513.pngDoni49_1-1713709261623.pngDoni49_2-1713709279480.pngDoni49_3-1713709305753.png

In trying to troubleshoot this, I found this on the Netgear website and it SEEMS to tell me that I've configured it correctly.

How to configure VLANs on a NETGEAR Web Managed Plus Switch with shared access to the internet - NET...

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Doni49
Aspirant

Re: Connected WAP and Router to managed switch with Port 8 assigned to VLAN 200. No internet for Wi

I was able to figure out what was going on.  The WiFi access point (WAP) is configured to use four VLANs:  100, 101, 200, & 300.

The WAP is connected to Port 3 on the managed switch.  When the WAP tries to pass traffic from the WiFi clients to the router, it's trying to send packets with the VLAN IDs listed above -- but the managed switch didn't recognize those VLAN IDs.

I added those VLAN IDs to the managed switch's configuration and made port 3 a member of all those VLANs.

As of right now, it appears to be working fine.  I'll keep an eye on it but for now, I consider this resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Connected WAP and Router to managed switch with Port 8 assigned to VLAN 200. No internet for Wi

Welcome to the Netgear Community!

Looks perfect, except of port 8 is assigned as untagged to both VLAN 1 and 200. Based on the PVID on port 8, best guess is to remove it from VLAN 1 - just click on the port in the VLAN 1 definition until the  U and T will be removed, then apply.

As the designation says, the GS108Ev3 - 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch, isn't a Managed Switch. A moderator will move your thread to the appropriate Plus and Smart Switches  section - just to avoid you think your well documented post (good job!) disappeared.

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 2 of 5
Doni49
Aspirant

I was able to figure out what was going on.  The WiFi access point (WAP) is configured to use four VLANs:  100, 101, 200, & 300.

The WAP is connected to Port 3 on the managed switch.  When the WAP tries to pass traffic from the WiFi clients to the router, it's trying to send packets with the VLAN IDs listed above -- but the managed switch didn't recognize those VLAN IDs.

I added those VLAN IDs to the managed switch's configuration and made port 3 a member of all those VLANs.

As of right now, it appears to be working fine.  I'll keep an eye on it but for now, I consider this resolved.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Yes this is what happens internationally when associating the SSIDs with VLAN IDs, the traffic from and to these SSIDs will be tagged.accordingly.

Message 4 of 5
Doni49
Aspirant

Thanks. When I started this process, I thought that by connecting the WAP to port 3 on the managed switch, all traffic destined for the WAP would be routed through that port.

I was in the shower when I had an epiphany moment and wondered if adding those other VLANs to the switch's configuration then making port 3 a member of them would help. Tried it and it worked.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements