× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dual DHCP helper-address in startup-config

TedW
Aspirant

Dual DHCP helper-address in startup-config

I'm replacing my M5300 stack with a new M4300 stack and I had a question about a routing command in each of the VLANs on my old M5300 stack.  My M5300 was configured by Netgear contracted support when we first purchased it, and as I scroll through the startup-config file from the M5300 I see a few commands for each of the VLANs that I have questions about:

Question 1:  In the "interface vlan" commands listed in the M5300's startup-config (see example below) I see the command ip helper-address 10.1.0.20 dhcp and I was wondering how I add this option via the browser interface on my new M4300 stack, or can it only be done by modifying and uploading a new startup-config to my M4300 stack?

interface vlan 2
routing
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.1.0.20 dhcp
exit
interface vlan 3
routing
ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0
exit

interface vlan 4
routing
ip address 10.1.11.1 255.255.255.0
exit

Question 2: I also noticed that the M5300 stack's startup-config had individual interfaces that were configured to include and exclude (see below).  Every interface that was untagged for the default VLAN 1 did not have these "include" and "exclude" statements, but All of the ports configured for untagged VLAN 3 and VLAN 4 did.  Can someone clue me in on what these commands might be for, and if they can also be added through the browser interface on my new M4300 stack?  Computers on VLAN 3 and VLAN 4 can still access servers on VLAN 1, so I'm not sure what the vlan participation exclude 1 is doing.

interface 1/0/19
voice vlan 2
auto-voip protocol-based
auto-voip oui-based
vlan pvid 3
vlan participation exclude 1
vlan participation include 3
exit

interface 3/0/47
voice vlan 2
auto-voip protocol-based
auto-voip oui-based
vlan pvid 4
vlan participation exclude 1
vlan participation include 4
exit

Any help with my above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TedW

Model: M5300-52G-PoE+ (GSM7252PSv1h2)|ProSAFE 48+4 L2+ PoE Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Dual DHCP helper-address in startup-config

Hi,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Question 1:
The ip-helper address is used for DHCP relay. You can also add this via the GUI, under "System" --> "Services" --> "DHCP Relay" --> "UDP Relay".

Question 2:
The command vlan participation include will untag a vlan that on a given port (note, it will not set the PVID though). The command vlan participation exclude will remove vlan association on a given port.

In the config file, you don't see the vlan include command for vlan 1, even though all ports are untagged for vlan 1 - as you mention. This is because that is the default setting. A config file only shows you what deviates from the default settings and since include vlan 1 is default on all ports, it won't show you that in the config file. Just like pvid 1 is set on all ports per default and you don't see that in the config file either.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Question 1:
The ip-helper address is used for DHCP relay. You can also add this via the GUI, under "System" --> "Services" --> "DHCP Relay" --> "UDP Relay".

Question 2:
The command vlan participation include will untag a vlan that on a given port (note, it will not set the PVID though). The command vlan participation exclude will remove vlan association on a given port.

In the config file, you don't see the vlan include command for vlan 1, even though all ports are untagged for vlan 1 - as you mention. This is because that is the default setting. A config file only shows you what deviates from the default settings and since include vlan 1 is default on all ports, it won't show you that in the config file. Just like pvid 1 is set on all ports per default and you don't see that in the config file either.

Cheers

Message 2 of 4
TedW
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply and the info.  I appreciate it.

TedW

Message 3 of 4
Hopchen
Prodigy

No worries 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation