× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FS728TP Switch-How to set IP for VLAN

Milesdeep
Tutor

FS728TP Switch-How to set IP for VLAN

I have the above mentioned switch and I can find where to create the various VLANs, I just cannot figure out how to route between the VLANs.  How do I assign the VLAN an IP?

Model: FSM726|24 port 10/100 Mbps Managed Switch with Gigabit Ports
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FS728TP Switch-How to set IP for VLAN

Hello Milesdeep, 

Welcome to the community! 

The FS728TP is only a layer 2 Smart Switch, such features like Inter-VLAN routing are not available on these models. You will find Inter-VLAN feature on a router with VLAN capability (VLAN aware) or a Layer 3 switch. For more information about Smart Switches please click here

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Milesdeep
Tutor

I read that there is a "Routing" tab.  I don't have one.  I try to update the firmware but it says my unit is up-to-date.  Inter-VLAN routing?  Maybe not on this model?  So, what's the point of VLANs if you can't route between them?

Model: FSM726|24 port 10/100 Mbps Managed Switch with Gigabit Ports
Message 2 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Milesdeep, 

Welcome to the community! 

The FS728TP is only a layer 2 Smart Switch, such features like Inter-VLAN routing are not available on these models. You will find Inter-VLAN feature on a router with VLAN capability (VLAN aware) or a Layer 3 switch. For more information about Smart Switches please click here

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Milesdeep, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 6
Milesdeep
Tutor

Thanks for the comments, I didn't not know it was a layer-2.  I'll work accordingly.  Thanks. 

Message 5 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Milesdeep, 

You are welcome! Feel free to ask if you have more questions otherwise please consider marking "Accept as Solution" on one of the posts that helped you. This will help other users maximize thier search when looking up answers in the community. 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements