× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108T VLAN and Router

parallon
Aspirant

GS108T VLAN and Router

Hello all.  I recently purchased a GS108T Managed Switch and a TP-Link AP300 access point (which supports multi-SSID mode and VLANs).  I am trying to create at least 2 sepatate VLANs, but am wondering if my router has to support VLANs as well.  My router is the Linksys WRT3200ACM.   Will all VLAN routing work through this switch, and just go out to the internet through the router, or does the router play any role in the VLAN routing?

I want to run Ethernet to Port 1 on the switch from my router, plug the AP into Port 2,  Ports 3-7 on VLAN_1and have my security cameras on port 8 (VLAN_2).  All ports need access to the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Mike

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Yes, of course - ther router has to be able to handle multiple VLAN or security zones (on dedicated ports), handle multiple LAN subnet addresses, offer a DHCP service for multiple networks, ...

These switches are simple L2 switches. Even if using some L2+ or L3 switches allowing to handle routing, then the switch is becoming the core router, and all device default gateways have to point to the relevant switch VLAN routing IP address - so there must be a capable DHCP server, too..

Last, many IoT are making use of IPv4 broadcast and sometimes Multicast for service announcements, and to be recognized by network services and even more critical by Apps. This can and will lead to limited functionalities, depending on what is effectively in place, and what people like to use from the "normal" (W)LAN.

Conclude, this is not a Netgear limitation - these efforts and then testing the intended IoT and applications are required on any VLAN deployments - regardless of the switch vendor and capabilities.

Message 2 of 4
parallon
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the reply. So, even if I didn't want inter-VLAN communication (talking between any of them), the router still needs to be capable?

Thanks again,
Mike
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Well, you can of course define a dedicated VLAN - lack of a DHCP server for that VLAN you might have to assign the IP addresses to the camera(s) and the computers/mobiles manually (static config). 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements