× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS516TP - Newbie Totally lost.

DucaNet
Aspirant

GS516TP - Newbie Totally lost.

Hi,

So I just upgraded to this switch from an unmanaged 8 Gb ports Cisco. I needed more ports and power since I already have 4 IP Cams and plan on adding more. Also I was interested in the LACP thing where I could use both ports on my Synology NAS and hope for less bottleneck since I'm running all 4 cams on it as well as constantly accessing it from a pc and a mac.

I have 1 PC and 1 Mac connected to a router, the router is connected to the Netgear switch which has 4 IP Cams, the Synology NAS (2000Mbps x 2 LANs) and 3 misc. devices (not on 24/7) connected to it.

Well first of all, when I was before maximizing transfer rate from PC or Mac to the Diskstation at a sustained 125MB/s, I now barely get 90MB/s from the PC and not even 50MB/s from the mac.

Second, while I'm seeing a slight overall data rate improvement in the 4 camera feed it still feels jittery or choppy. Roughly between 2000KB/s to 7000KB/s all 4 IP CAMs combined. The data rate for each IP Cam varies greatly depending on the activity or lackthereof.

I've managed, suprisingly, to setup Link Aggragation LACP between the NAS and the switch and I do see a bond of 2 LANs. From my understanding this should allow me to preserve the IP Cams feed and still enjoy 100% LAN Speed on my desktops. I'm totally lost as far as finding a way to actually make every single connection work full speed. My overall setup seems way below the switch bandwidth/capacity.

I've tried to setup auto-video vlan to no avail it feels like I need an network engineering degree at this point!  And by the way should I be in switching or Routing mode?! Doesn't seem to change things one bit.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS516TP - Newbie Totally lost.

Hi DucaNet,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. On the web-GUI of the GS516TP switch, go to Switching > Ports > Global Configuration.  Is Flow Control enabled?

b. What is the current firmware version of the GS516TP switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DucaNet
Aspirant

Hello,

a. Disable

b. I only see Boot Version: 2.0.0.11 and Software Version: 6.0.1.16 (< firmware?)

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DucaNet,

You have just replaced your unmanaged Cisco switch with the GS516TP switch and the network became slow.  Kindly try the following:

a. Enable Flow Control and observe if it will improve the network speed.  

b. Factory reset the GS516TP if enabling flow control doesn't help.  

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DucaNet,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 5 of 6
DucaNet
Aspirant

Sorry I'm returning the switch. In my case it just doesn't improve things but make them worse e.g. LACP and Qos.

Even for my many devices it doesn't make sense to have that much manageability and bandwidth. Thanks for your help/time!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements