× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

If a loop occurs in netgear and the network is not connected

smiya
Aspirant

If a loop occurs in netgear and the network is not connected

For example, it was talked about when the network could not be connected due to the setting that was able to connect up to now, but was set to the Netgear M5300-52G.

I will be reviewing the settings of the M5300-52G. Is it possible to connect from the web console at http: // <IP address> even if the network is not connected?

If I can not connect to the web console, is there any way to view the device settings?

I'm not very familiar, so please tell me.

Model: M5300-52G (GSM7252S)|ProSafe 48-port Gigabit L2+ Managed Stackable Switch
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: If a loop occurs in netgear and the network is not connected

Hi @smiya 

Welcome to the community!

If loop occur in the Netowrk, it may cause switch CPU Usage high, and the Web GUI maybe not available for access via HTTP or HTTPs. So in this scenario, you cannot get devcie config from Web GUI, the only way is to connect console port.

Anyway, I suggest you can setup one syslog server and SNMP Server to collect some info from switch. It will help Network Manager to analysis the problem.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ
NETGEAR employee

Message 2 of 4
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Having a syslog server is one of the worthiest things you invest your time when bulding a network with managede switches. It will help you in post-mortems and also keep a track of records that goes beyond the log buffer on the switches. (It can start as simple as a plain rsyslogd, no initial need for a full-blown ELK stack).

I have made the experience of introducing a broadcast storm due to a combination of misconfiguration on the switch and a faulty device doing some heavy port flapping leading to a situation that was not catched by STP (hint: study how edgeport and BPDU guard works).

Since most devices, even our M4300, became almost unresponsive in that moment, having a way to look at what happened at what point via syslog was what eventually allowed me to identify the exact port on the switch so that I could isolate the device (shutdown the port) and then repair the switch config.

If you have an NMS that can deal with SNMP traps, well, that could be even better, but a simple syslog server can be set up relatively quickly.

Message 3 of 4
smiya
Aspirant

Thank you.

It is only the console port.

I would like to think about creating a syslog server.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements