× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there an updated VPN guide for Windows 10? (FVS336Gv2)

Mark_HAL
Aspirant

Is there an updated VPN guide for Windows 10? (FVS336Gv2)

Since the October Windows 10 update, our Windows 10 VPN connections are not working. Is there an updated guide to setting up these connections?  Below are links to the old guides showing Windows 7.

https://kb.netgear.com/24288/Configuring-a-PPTP-VPN-Tunnel-to-ProSAFE-ProSECURE-routers

https://kb.netgear.com/24393/Configuring-an-L2TP-VPN-Tunnel-to-ProSAFE-ProSECURE-routers

Model: FVS336Gv2|PROSAFE DUAL WAN GIGABIT FIREWALL WITH SSL & IPSEC VPN
Message 1 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Is there an updated VPN guide for Windows 10? (FVS336Gv2)

Hi Mark_HAL,

Welcome to our community!

I don't think that we have an article for windows 10. But actually it still has the same options and configurations for windows as long as you are familiar with it.

Here is one of the articles I've found in the community.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Mark_HAL,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything works ok now or you still need further assistance. Just in case that the reply was the solution to your problem, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 8
Mark_HAL
Aspirant

I will try the suggested setup from the link but won't have time until next week.  I will try to update the thread with my results.

Message 4 of 8
Mark_HAL
Aspirant

So I finally got around to trying to fix the issue.  I took a Udemy course on VPN and this helped me find the more detailed settings for VPN that are pretty buried in the current version of Windows 10.  I iterated through trying all variations of those settings in the Windows 10 client and all of the stuff I could find for the Netgear side and it is still not working.  I finally figured out all the right settings using the Netgear VPN client but we have used all of our licenses and would like to use the Windows 10 client for the few employees that don't have the Netgear client software.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 5 of 8
Mark_HAL
Aspirant

@JohnC_V

Back on this again.  We are having troubles.  When I use the Prosafe client from home, the connection is pretty slow.  I have another user I am setting up and I used the same parameters as mine but his won't connect.

Back to using the Windows 10 built-in client:

More googling found this Microsoft doc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54434

In section 4.1 it states that it only supports DH Groups 14, 19 and 20.  When I am trying to setup my IKE policy on the firewall, only Groups 1,2 and 5 are available.  It seems like this means I can't use the Windows 10 client with IKEv1.  Is that correct?

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
Mark_HAL
Aspirant

@JohnC_V

Also, I just found this:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/FVS336Gv2.aspx

What does this mean?

Message 7 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Mark_HAL,

As you can see, NETGEAR already ended up producing the firewall and it will be the last firmware provided. If you do have any request or recommendation in NETGEAR devices, then you may post it in Idea Exchange for Business.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements